Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Default Mercury 1150 115hp Choke stuck on

Hi I have a Mercury 1150 115 hp outboard. I took it to the lake and it would not clean out. I took the motor cover off and noticed that the choke was stuck on. If I would hold the choke from blocking the intake it would run great. It was then that I noticed black melting substance coming out of the bottom of the choke solenoid. So I thought the choke solenoid went bad. So I ordered a new solenoid and a new wiring harness. Installed the new wiring harness and Choke Solenoid. Still have the same problem. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. New to this forum.... Thanks

Default Re: Mercury 1150 115hp Choke stuck on

Check the choke switch at the remote. It sounds like it is stuck closed keeping the choke on.
    "A manual is a cheap investment"
    Fair Winds and Following Seas
    Bill
    PTC USN ret

When I turn the ignition on the choke actuates and closes over the intake. Then when I turn the ignition off the choke deactivates. The choke will not release when the motor is on. The choke solenoid gets very hot. My old solenoid got so hot the insides melted.

I disconnected the wire to the choke solenoid and the boat runs great....the only problem is when the wire is disconnected I am unable to turn the motor off. If I reconnect the wire the motor will shut off.

Any Ideas would be appreciated

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like the choke button is stuck or the choke wire is shorted to +12VDC. See if the button is stuck. You may need to replace the button is it is stuck. Other than thta open up the control an dlook for short in grey wire. Grey to white wire would be likely short.

Thanks for all the help. I'll give that a try

So after investigating it seems the previous owner had a new remote installed that does not have a choke button. They tried wiring a choke switch. The wiring is very butchered and falling apart. Does anyone know if the OEM parts for the ignition wiring harness and remote are still available?

Lieutenant Commander

Try old mercs .com for a switch as they have most everything for the older merc motors and controls.

Oldman570

If there is no choke switch maybe you can replace the ignition switch with one that has "push to choke"?

The wiring harness had extra slack. So I cut all the old butchered connections off of the ignition and the choke switch. Bought an ignition with the "push to choke" feature. Put new marine connections on and it runs better then it ever has and starts right up.

Thanks for the help