Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Default Mercury 110 9.8HP Water Pump Replacement

My water pump on my Merc 110 9.8 ate all of the vains off of the water pump. How do i get the shaft out to replace these parts. It is in the picture. the long shaft that goes out of the picture (the one of the right)

Thanks
    Nick

Banned

Default Re: Mercury 110 9.8HP Water Pump Replacement

You don't need to remove the shaft only the imp. hub use a punch and tap the hub in the clockwise irection to loosen it on the key, then pry it up out of the housing. The thing you need to do it find as many pieces of the imp. as possably so they don't plug the water passages.

whatever you do, don't check the lower unit oil or lift up the water pump housing and look at the driveshaft, you probably won't like what you see judging by the part of the driveshaft you can see. Seriously, If the oil isn't too bad just change it a lot. It's a pain to fix that driveshaft but you might want to try the speedisleeve method mentioned recently in a thread.
    Good luck,
    JBJ

Quote Originally Posted by Laddies View Post
    You don't need to remove the shaft only the imp. hub use a punch and tap the hub in the clockwise irection to loosen it on the key, then pry it up out of the housing. The thing you need to do it find as many pieces of the imp. as possably so they don't plug the water passages.
    Greetings from Australia, saw your questions on website, had a few of my own. The 7.5 & 9.8 Mercury's come in short and longshaft. My old 9.8 has a two piece drive shaft. By removing the 8'' upper drive shaft, the engine can be re assembled as a short shaft. This upper 8'' part is getting a bit old and rusty, any suggestions as to how to obtain a replacement? New. secondhand, or fabricate. Thanks. G.N.

Greetings from Australia, saw your questions posted on web site had a few of my own. The 7.5 and 9.8 Mercury's come in short and longshaft. My old 9.8 has a two piece drive shaft. By removing the 8" upper drive shaft the leg can be reassembled as a short shaft. This upper 8'' of the drive shaft is getting old and rusty and maybe a bit thin. Any suggestions as to how to find a replacement? New, secondhand, or fabricate. Thanks. G.N.