Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Default Hydro Surge Grate for Merc Jet Drive

Have any of you used the Hydro Surge Grate, if so do you know if it will work on a 1996 120XR Jet, Mercury say's that it is for 99 and newer 120's, can it be modified to fit on a 96 or does anyone have an alternative? Getting out to clean the intake takes the fun out of my pleasure!
    Joe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Default Re: Hydro Surge Grate for Merc Jet Drive

Bad idea, its easier to clean weeds from intake than to fix damage broken hydro suck tines will do to your pump/impeller. Here's link to one of numerous threads you will find about these spring loaded tines breaking:
    http://www.jetboating.net/jetboating...1&postid=59202
    Think their only for MR2 pumps and up anyway. I often launch in a local shallow weedy lake near here(lake scugog) to fish. Most of the weeds just clog on the intake, I can remove them with a plastic kids garden rake from the swim platform-push forward then pull the clump out from under. Sounds tricky but it is easy and works well, I haven't fallen off swim platform yet doing this....getting wet to elbow beats going under the boat at 5am d

Default Re: Hydro Surge Grate for Merc Jet Drive

Can't thank you enough! what an eye opener as usuall if it sounds to good to be true it is. Thanks again a $150 item could have destroyed several hundred in drive parts!
    Joe