Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Cadet

Default Can I fix a loose / slack steering issue?

I have a 1995 Black Max 150, I bought the boat last May, since I bought it the steering always had what I call slack in the wheel. Back in November I had a no feedback steering put on, so it doesnt wear you out now. I assumed that when the guys put this on it would correct the "slack" issue but it didnt.

I dont know exactly how to explain this but I can tell you that with the boat in the stall, when I turn/touch the wheel the slightest I can see that there is slight movement in the arm on the motor, but I don't see any forward motion in the arm until the slack is out of the wheel. This makes me think that there could be some adjustment at the motor end that needs work.

I would say that there is 25 to 30 degrees of slack in the wheel and I think I have an 18 in dia wheel. ( I have not measured it yet but based off of pictures I think it is larger that 15).

Is there any way to correct this issue or take out the slack in the steering? I have include a pic of my set up to help in any way.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Honorary Moderator Emeritus tashasdaddy's Avatar

Default Re: Can I fix a loose / slack steering issue?

grab the motor by the back end, and try to turn it, is there any slack there? also the no feed back system requires you to turn the wheel slightly before the cable kicks in. that may be what you are think is slack.
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Default Re: Can I fix a loose / slack steering issue?

If there's any slack or give in the steering link between the end of the cable and the motor, you have a real bad accident looking for a place to happen.

The bolt between the arm and the link is critical, and it's a special bolt, don't substitute anything.

For a V6 150 on a boat that will do 50 or better, Dual Rack NFB is the minimum safe steering set. That's what I have on mine, and it works well. If you put in a drum system, or worse yet a single cable system, and it's faster than a 'toon, ya don't have tight enough steering for yer ship.

hope it helps
    John