Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Default 45 hp Mercury Jet Issues

    I have a 98 merc 45hp (60 hp powerhead) jet outboard that is having issues. It is on a 16 ft alumacraft flat bottom. Last week i had it out and it Worked perfectly. Good hole shot, smooth top end, no rpm meter but around 28 mph.

    The other day I had it out and it was having a hard time getting on plane and it would run 22-24 mph top end. After running for a while it would die. So, I put in a new fuel line; new tank; rebuilt the fuel pump; and now doesn't die after a few minutes of running WOT. It still doesn't reach the correct top speed and has a poor hole shot, sometimes.

    Crazy thing now is that it runs perfectly 30% of the time but the other 70% it does not. When two people are in the boat it seems to run better (I adjusted the trim of the jet but didn't help). Also, when I turn sharply, the motor rpm's dive. It doesn't kill the engine but it cuts out until you turn the motor back. I checked for kinks in the fuel line, nothing. I even mess with all the lines going into the motor when it is running straight and it does nothing.

    I am wondering if there is a rev limiter on the engine or if I may have an issue with the float in the carbs. Any insight???

  2. #2

    Default Re: 45 hp Mercury Jet Issues

    No ideas?

  3. #3
    Admiral
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Monroe WA
    Posts
    6,924

    Default Re: 45 hp Mercury Jet Issues

    When it dies, or when the RPMs drop, is it a sudden drop like someone flipped a switch, or is a slow change in RPMs and sort of smooth?

  4. #4

    Default Re: 45 hp Mercury Jet Issues

    It is a sudden drop like a switch

  5. #5
    Admiral
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Monroe WA
    Posts
    6,924

    Default Re: 45 hp Mercury Jet Issues

    Then look for electrical issues, coils, frayed wires, loose connections, switch box, timing advance sticking, etc. It can be hard to tell when it is only intermitent, you have to catch it when its failing.

  6. #6

    Default Re: 45 hp Mercury Jet Issues

    This motor has a rev limiter (checked the merc manuals) that is hooked to the engine. Could this be failing?

  7. #7
    Admiral
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Monroe WA
    Posts
    6,924

    Default Re: 45 hp Mercury Jet Issues

    Anything is possible, but I haven't seen a rev limiter (the one for max RPMs) cause this problem (I'm sure it has though). Some motors have a slow mode, if the motor gets too hot, or is not getting enough oil, it can limit the RPMs to help prevent damage, I'm not sure if this motor has this feature or not.

  8. #8

    Default Re: 45 hp Mercury Jet Issues

    Thanks for the help. I'll look into the electrical.

Similar Threads

  1. HELP.. Mercury 850 (85 HP) Issues
    By jimmy120 in forum Mercury & Mariner Outboards
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: June 28th, 2013, 11:52 PM
  2. 07 mercury 225 pro xs low rpm issues
    By rtr80 in forum Mercury & Mariner Outboards
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 24th, 2012, 05:55 PM
  3. 2001 mercury 40 hp 4 stroke issues. Shop and Mercury stumped.
    By SBob in forum Mercury & Mariner Outboards
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 30th, 2011, 02:22 AM
  4. 97 mercury 200 efi issues!
    By ranger492 in forum Mercury & Mariner Outboards
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: April 11th, 2011, 09:31 AM
  5. more '80 mercury 80 issues
    By fishdog4449 in forum Mercury & Mariner Outboards
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 31st, 2008, 05:30 PM
  1. iboats Forum Directory - Over 100,000 forum posts organized by topic