Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Seaman Apprentice

Default 1968 650 Ignition and Wiring Diagram

I'm trying to determine the type of ignition and a wiring diagram for my '68 Merc 650. I have looked at all the diagrams on Maxrules and it seems to be a combination of the 650S breakerless with ignition driver and the 650 thunderbolt ignition. It has "lightning energizer" on what I thought was the distributor but that I now think must be an ignition driver. The switch box has only 4 colors on only one side of the box that matches the diagram for the 650S breakerless but it also has a rectifier and the wires leading out of the internal harness don't match that same diagram. All parts look original so it doesn't appear to have been switched around but I can't find a diagram for this exact engine. Thanks for any help.

Seaman Apprentice

Default Re: 1968 650 Ignition and Wiring Diagram

I found it. It is type II Ignition System (Thunderbolt distributor lightening energizer, pointless ignition driver with ELECTRIC start). For some reason, this is never mentioned as the ignition for my engine, it is always listed as a type III. By the way, I found the diagram when I ordered the Seloc online manual. I'm glad I only paid $15.00 for the one year subscription because it is pretty useless. It is not engine specific and there are very few pictures.

Default Re: 1968 650 Ignition and Wiring Diagram

hey I am having a problem with that exact same year engine and the exact same part can you send me any information you have on how you fixed and maybe where you found the part? Thanks for any help you can give.