Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Honorary Moderator Emeritus Don S's Avatar

Default ------- Water in your OIL !!!

So, you take your boat out for the first time after a long winter, only to find it starts running poorly, and you have a lot of milky oil on the dipstick and itís way over full.
    What happened? Chances are very high that you have a cracked block.

Yes, people like to think the head gasket is bad, but the fact is, they very seldom go bad in a way that lets water into the engine oil.
    Second hope is that the exhaust manifolds are leaking. Again, probably not. When manifolds or risers go bad, they leak water into the cylinders when the engine is not running. You then get a hydro lock when you try to start it. If it leaks while the engine is running, the exhaust blows it out the back of the boat and you wouldnít notice it.
    Even if the water did lay on top of the piston, if the rings are good enough to give you compression, the water is not going to leak past them, at least not very fast, and you probably wouldnít see any accumulation of water in the oil, only a slight milky color if any change at all.

How can you check the block? well, the best way is to drain the water out of the block, block off all the hoses going to the exhaust manifold/s and anywhere else, and see if you can pressurize the block with air. It should hold 15 lbs. If it doesnít and you canít pump it up, then you have a problem. Sometimes you may be able to hear where the leak is but probably not able to pinpoint it. If it doesnít hold air pressure, then itís time to start looking. On V6 and V8 engines, pull the intake manifold off. You should see the cracks just above the lifters. On the IL4 or 6 engines, pull the lifter cover and have a look.

Letís say you found the cracks. Now your next question is going to be ďHow can I fix it?Ē
    The answer is simple, you canít. Itís time for a replacement block or engine.

BUT I DID Winterize !!!!!!!!!
    Sorry, but if you have a cracked block, it either wasnít winterized, or it wasnít done correctly.
    Here is some reading on the procedures and how not to do it. Items 6 and 7 are what you are most interested in right now.
    http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/adults-only-no-exceptions-288430.html

Here is a service bulletin from Mercruiser that explains where to look for water intrusion.
    http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/01/01_13.pdf

So now you have a little more backround on what, why, and how to, do some checking, then come back and start a new thread of your very own, with what you found or didnít find and Iím sure you will get plenty of help.
    Last edited by Don S; March 5th, 2011 at 12:16 PM.
    Don S.

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Default Re: Water in my OIL !!! Arggggggggggg

This says it all!

Make it a sticky!

Cheers,

Rick
    73 de Rick
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I use xxx oil and have never had a problem........
    1987 FourWinns 211 Liberator, 7.4L- Bravo III installed by ME,
    Formerly OMG 460 King Kobra powered
    1947 Stinson 108-2 Station Wagon
    , Franklin 6A-335B. Hartzell CS 2-blade prop
    -
    All PM's cheerfully answered! Please ask tech questions in the appropriate forum so everyone's included

Little early for this post isn't it Don?

Agree... sticky
    just because you found it that way... doesn't mean it's supposed to be that way.

Part of diagnostics is spending time figuring out not only what the problem is, but also sorting through what it isn't.

The older the engine is, the chances of it having more than 1 problem goes up exponentially

Boating has always been a rich mans hobby. Buying a new boat gets cheaper every year, but the maintenance, the repairs, and the overall cost of ownership of a boat has never gotten any cheaper.

Lieutenant Junior Grade solar7647's Avatar

I bet this will be referanced alot once the southern states warm up again. Not to soon at all!
    1987 Four Winns 215 Sundowner...
    She may be old...but she's got it were it counts!

My refit/re-power project
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....13#post2466813

3.7L rebuild: the thread
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....13#post2578113

3.7L/470 altinator set up for about $100 with little modification needed and simple tooles.
    http://forums.iboats.com/showthread....=1#post2892577

Honorary Moderator Emeritus Don S's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by solar7647 View Post
    I bet this will be referanced alot once the southern states warm up again. Not to soon at all!
    Was exactly what I was thinking. Soon as this cold spell goes away they will be headed for the water.
    Don S.

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.