Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Petty Officer 2nd Class

Default Up to no good: Bravo III thru hull water pickup

Just looking for tips and advice from anyone who has done this conversion before ... or any advice in drilling a thru-hull. Never did that before either.

Please advise:

- I'm planning to glass in a piece of 1/2" plywood to reinforce the area. I was going to use regular construction plywood. Someone stop me ...

- Is this transparent water hose good enough? I was going to use 1 1/4" wet exhaust hose but that stuff is ridiculously expensive and probably way overkill

- Mercruiser flush kit: $160, plastic T valve: $9 ... why do I need to spend $160 on a Merc garden hose / flush kit? Its made of plastic too.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Default Re: Up to no good: Bravo III thru hull water pickup

Bump, anyone done this conversion before? Looking for tips and advice... thanks!

I did this conversion a few years ago - there's no way i would go cheap on this. Way too much chance of sinking!

No bigger than the wood area is I went with a solid plank of hardwood. I also went with the proper thick reinforced rubber hose.

And there's also no way I would use a cheap plastic tee fitting. Again - too much chance of the fitting breaking and the boat sinking. But that's just me.

For flushing, why not simply add a quality brass strainer? You simply pop the lid and insert the hose and flushing is a breeze. Here's a pic of my set up:

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys.

Its so tempting. That tee is $10 compared to Mercruiser's kit $160 ... both are made of plastic. Both USA made.

Alternatively, I can go with an all-brass T / flush kit ... I assemble the parts myself for about $80.

Fishermark - thanks for the pic. That'll get me thinking some more about this.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Quote Originally Posted by Fishermark View Post
    I did this conversion a few years ago - there's no way i would go cheap on this. Way too much chance of sinking!

No bigger than the wood area is I went with a solid plank of hardwood. I also went with the proper thick reinforced rubber hose.

And there's also no way I would use a cheap plastic tee fitting. Again - too much chance of the fitting breaking and the boat sinking. But that's just me.
    Here's the thing ... the Mercruiser flush kit for $160 is a "cheap plastic tee" ... the grey plastic one pictured above is only $9. Both are US made (if that matters anymore) ... and if you're talking wall thickness, the cheap gray one measures about .125" thicker.

Senior Chief Petty Officer 04fxdwgi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by makonnen View Post
    Here's the thing ... the Mercruiser flush kit for $160 is a "cheap plastic tee" ... the grey plastic one pictured above is only $9. Both are US made (if that matters anymore) ... and if you're talking wall thickness, the cheap gray one measures about .125" thicker.
    Plastic fittings / cheap hose below the water line scares the heck out of me. Personally, I use brass / bronze fittings and heavy duty hose below the water line. If that fitting breaks, you won't know it till the bilge pump can't keep up and then it's way too late.

Home supply chain plastic fittings aren't the way to go, IMHO..... I would even have replaced the MC plastic one with either a "glass filled polymer" (which the MC one may very well be) or bronze / brass one.

The glass filled polymer fitting will look like plastic, is a form of plastic, but really isn't the same, and are as tough as nails. Sure, the cheap one will work, but for how long?

I have alot of money tied up in the boat and saving a few bucks on a critical item designed to keep the water out of the boat just doesn't make sense to me.
    '92 Chaparral 2550 SX Sport
    454 BBC Mercruiser Bravo 1
    Tow with '04 F150 Larriat SuperCab 4x4 5.4 Triton
    US Coast Guard Aux.

Another thing to remember on the hose - this is a suction hose - not a pressure hose. You need a strong, stiff hose that will not collapse for the suction side.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the advice.

I'm going to ditch both the grey plastic T and the Mercruiser kit. I'm going for all-brass which will still be less than half of the Merc flush kit pictured above.

Already bought some wet exhaust hose which I think is way overkill but it was sound advice.

Thanks.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the advice guys. I took it all...

Return this Mercruiser kit, its plastic and costs $160

Got rid of the plastic T and water hose...

Upgraded to brass T and wet exhaust hose

Got a piece of 1/2" maple for reinforcement

Thru hull

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sealed with 4200

Sealed the other end too

Glassed in the maple plank

Done.

Pm Opp's playing with hull's is his fortay..Or Ondarvr...Yacht DR..all are well qualifed. Hate to say this but i believe you have created a weak spot by not glasing and taping both sides of the injection unit. 5200 is great stuff but it is pliable not what you want under a hull at speed.
    Stickly a opinion your milage may vary.

Speed is how fast you hit the wall
    Torque is how far you move the wall"

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea I thought about that ... what if that thru hull catches a deadhead or at worst hits a rock right on the nose. Thats not 5200, its 4200. I figure the mechanical connection comes from the screws (which I'll replace with brass later) and the giant brass nut. I also completely glassed in that piece of 1/2" maple. Hopefully that gives me the reinforcement I need.

you have already changed to brass, however the Merc part is glass reinforced (strong as hell) and the grey plastic tee is just resin (weak as hell). The brass will be a longer lasting choice. also, on the reinforced hose, make sure your using certified below water line hose, with two hose clamps at each connection.
    1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 - VP AQ271C / 290DP "Rock'n Along"
    http://forums.iboats.com/cruisers-yachts/1988-rogue-2420-a-500145.html
    1970 Wooster Hellion 7' of cool mini boat with a Merc 9.8
    Recent Boats
    2002 SeaRay 190BR - MC 5.0 / Alpha I series II "Cheasheads in Paradise"
    1984 Avanti 170DLI - OMC 3.0 / OMC Stringer 400 "Ship Happens"

The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me

I can't tell from your pictures, but it looks like you're mixing bronze and brass fittings. Stay with all bronze to eliminate galvanic corrosion. Also, tie it in to your bonding system.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Quote Originally Posted by undercover View Post
    I can't tell from your pictures, but it looks like you're mixing bronze and brass fittings. Stay with all bronze to eliminate galvanic corrosion. Also, tie it in to your bonding system.
    That is a great suggestion. But this is entering a territory I know little about ... what is a "bonding system?"

This boat is new to me ... its a 5.7 + BIII .... it has a Mercathode which I will assume is some sort of corrosion inhibitor device though at the moment I have no idea how it works. There is a green wire going to each of the trim tabs. But for some odd reason, no green wire going to the leg.

Should I try attach a zinc to it??

You want all the metal pieces that have contact with the water to be electrically tied together. That's what those green wires are for On your tabs. Your leg is bonded with to the bellhousing via the flat washer with the little bolt in it (middle mounting stud on the left side).

Just add your own green wire to your thru hull, and attach the other end to something else that's connected with other green wires (like a grounding point on your engine, etc.)

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update:

Making a backet to hold the brass T and brass shutoff valve

All stainless steel, drill and countersink 6 holes 10 guage, 1/4" angle stainless steel

5/18 x 18

SS bolts

A means to attach this bracket to the bonding system of the boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got the wrong size clamps

And you were thinking of cheap plastic at one time???

Good job!

Although...now that I look at it again.... Not to "throw water" on what you've done, but I believe the ball valve should be attached directly to the through hull pick up in order to shut off the water in case of an emergency. The way you have it now if the hose should come off the through hull fitting your boat will sink in a hurry.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DUH ... why didn't I think of that.

Good point, thanks for the input, I will make that change. But I'll need to special order a 45 deg FF 1 1/4 adapter for it.

To be honest, I never thought about that possibility, I only put a ball valve there to allow me to flush the engine.

Thanks! Looking for other suggestions ...

Captain

Just for future reference, what exactly is the point of the conversion? Is there a history of the B3's not having adequate cooling capability through the regular factory water pickup? I mean I wouldn't question it on a boat going 65mph+, but the B3 isn't rated for speeds over that, so . . . . enlighten me?!
    1976 Mark Twain 200VBR w/Mercruiser 233 (Ford 351w) "Heart & Soul"

Quote Originally Posted by haulnazz15 View Post
    Just for future reference, what exactly is the point of the conversion? Is there a history of the B3's not having adequate cooling capability through the regular factory water pickup? I mean I wouldn't question it on a boat going 65mph+, but the B3 isn't rated for speeds over that, so . . . . enlighten me?!
    Um...Yeah. I can only get mine to go 57 mph with my stock 454!!

My Bravo III works just fine with drive water pickup in 85 degree water (and I have closed cooling) and it picks up below the surface of the water so it doesn't grab anything that happens to be floating on (or near) the surface of the water.

Any "stuff" that is floating on the surface that just happens to make it to the screen might go into the screen (and strainer) or if it's a plastic bag etc, might just cover the pickup........ Yes I know that's remote, but it does happen even with drive pickups (except that your drive pickup is on both sides of the drive instead of one place......
    73 de Rick
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I use xxx oil and have never had a problem........
    1987 FourWinns 211 Liberator, 7.4L- Bravo III installed by ME,
    Formerly OMG 460 King Kobra powered
    1947 Stinson 108-2 Station Wagon
    , Franklin 6A-335B. Hartzell CS 2-blade prop
    -
    All PM's cheerfully answered! Please ask tech questions in the appropriate forum so everyone's included

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast