Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Cadet

Default Mercruiser power trim stuck

Hoping someone can help with my power trim problem. Before I describe the problem, here is the info on my boat:2003 Bayliner 175 (I/O)3.0 Mercruiser AlphaWhen I got the boat uncovered after the winter, I lowered the sterndrive (via the power trim) and started the motor in my yard. When I was done, I raised the sterndrive and thought all was set. I got the boat in the water and lowered the drive and started the motor. After getting it off the trailer, I tried to raise the sterndrive coming into shore, but it would not go up. I finnally got it raised a little more than 1/2 way, but that is the last time it has moved. After reading messages on this board, I have tried a few things without any luck.Fluid level is full.I am getting 12.2V to the power trim motor.The fuse is good.I get 12.2V from the solenoid when the trim switch is pressed.When I disconnect and reconnect the motor from the battery, I will get one, and only one click from the motor the first time I try to raise or lower the sterndrive. Anyone have any suggestions? I would hate to think that a one year old trim motor is already dead, but I am fearing it.Thanks,AD

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Default Re: Mercruiser power trim stuck

AD,Based on the fact that you were able to get it up halfway sounds like something mechanical in the hydrolic pump. If the power trim motor can be separated from the pump do so and see if it will run. If it won't run: motor is the problem. If yes: hydrolic pump is possibly jamed.

water in the lines had same problem

water in lines? had similiar trouble,drained and added new fliud solved it

Cadet

Thanks Don and mjttrap.I will give these suggestions a try. Hopefully I can come to a quick (and inexpensive) solution.AD

Cadet

Success! I pulled the entire power trim motor and resevoir out and bled the lines. I disconnected the resevoir from the motor and emptied it. I then put the motor on a 12V power supply in my basement and it ran fine. Just re-installed the entire assembly, filled with new fluid and everything works fine. Thanks to both of you for your advice!Happy boating!AD