Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Cadet

Default Mercruiser Neutral Safety Switch

As I understand it this switch is in the Panel Trim Control..............how easy is it to diagnose as the intermittent start problem and then how easy is it to adjust? Is this a job for the shop mechanic or is it something that can be done by someone with a little bit of skill? This is a Mercruiser Alpha One 260 V8 in a Baretta Success 20' 1986. Symptoms are: will start any number of times with no problem and then all of a sudden absolutley nothing when the ignition key is turned..no noise, no solenoid clicking, no starter motor turn..... after a random amount of time (totally unpredictable ) it will again start on first turn.
    Flags:confused

Default Re: Mercruiser Neutral Safety Switch

Ayuh,....

I don't know just What you're calling the "Panel Trim Control"...

The switch you're looking for is in the Shift Controller....
    how easy is it to diagnose as the intermittent start problem
    Ayuh,... Pretty Easy....

The next time you have a No Turn Over condition,.....
    Wiggle the Shifter.... If it Starts,... That's the Problem.....

Before you go ripping apart the controller,.....
    Remove, Sand, Clean, Reinstall,+ Grease, ALL of the starter/ battery connections......

I'd sooner think your Problem is dirty corroded Wiring ends....
    Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Cadet

Red face Re: Mercruiser Neutral Safety Switch

Bond-o, The Panel Trim Control is the same as the throttle,but it is the actual description used by Quicksilver so I thought to use that. I have cleaned every connection from the batteries to the starter slave solenoid, checked the wire harness plug , cleaned all ground wires. So by process of elimination I am at the neutral sfety switch ( also at the end of my rope ) It has started 52 times with no problem since the last incidedent when I was 5 mile off shore with 4-5' waves. Screwed around with everything I could find for 1 and 1/2 hours then called for a tow............once underway with the tow I turned the key just for drill and it turned right over.............." life is an adventure" LOL...................

Honorary Moderator Emeritus Don S's Avatar

Disconnect the wires from the neutral safety switch and hook them together. If your problem disappears, then the switch was bad.
    Just be carefull while testing, it WILL start in forward and reverse, along with neutral.
    Don S.

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Honorary Moderator Emeritus Don S's Avatar

You could also have other problems in your starting system, other than the neutral safety switch.
    Might want to read this thread and do some testing next time it doesn't start.
    http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser-i-o-inboard-engines-outdrives/how-troubleshooting-your-engines-starting-system-167035.html
    Don S.

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

might want to check the crimp connectors on the back of the keyswitch as well. i see that all the time.
    just because you found it that way... doesn't mean it's supposed to be that way.

Part of diagnostics is spending time figuring out not only what the problem is, but also sorting through what it isn't.

The older the engine is, the chances of it having more than 1 problem goes up exponentially

Boating has always been a rich mans hobby. Buying a new boat gets cheaper every year, but the maintenance, the repairs, and the overall cost of ownership of a boat has never gotten any cheaper.

I come from a land down-under...Perth, Australia

Something else worth checking is the fuse holder in the power lead to the keyswitch... dirty contacts and no power to nothing!!! Seen it happen... Enough current will get through to run the gauges, but not enough for the starter solenoid...

Chris........
    The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100' below...

1972 Bertram 'Bahia Mar' 20
    2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha 1 Gen II (0W829301)
    Please don't send service questions in private messages. That's what the forum is for. Messages of thanks, always accepted.
    Member of the month - April 2013. http://www.iboats.com/blog/achris-member-of-the-month/