Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Question Mercruiser 350 engine oil change

What's the best way you all have found to drain the engine oil from a Mercruiser engine? I don't have a drain tube on the oil pan. I have been looking for a pump that I can use through the dip-stick tube, but every one I find, there are horrible reviews saying that it doesn't work well, etc.

So, what's the easiest/best way to remove the oil from my (1989) 350 Mercruiser?
    2001 Cruisers Yacht 2870 - Twin 5.0 Volvo DP DuoProps

Banned

Default Re: Mercruiser 350 engine oil change

I use a Moeller, and it works perfectly, spills not a drop!

[IMG]http://www.**************************/userportal/woeimages/Engine/9547.jpg[/IMG]

Honorary Moderator Emeritus Don S's Avatar

You should have a dip stick tube that mounts in the bottom of the oil pan. Which means all you have to do is hook up a hose to the top of the dipstick tube and suck the oil out. After you warm the engine up. You do not have to stick a tube down inside of the dipstick tube.
    Don S.

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Petty Officer 1st Class Juniinc's Avatar

$15 plastic pump from shuck's works just fine for me,,,
    My current 91 Four Winns cuddy Restoration,,,
    http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/1991-four-winns-20-sport-cuddy-374684.html
    1991 Four Winns 20' 4.3L
    1987 Bayliner 18' 5.0L
    2005 Escalade Towing

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Don S View Post
    You should have a dip stick tube that mounts in the bottom of the oil pan. Which means all you have to do is hook up a hose to the top of the dipstick tube and suck the oil out. After you warm the engine up. You do not have to stick a tube down inside of the dipstick tube.
    When did they change that Don? I see people mention they hook the hose to the top of the tube a lot here.
    My engine is a 1978 5.7, I have to stick the tube inside of the dipstick tube, but it works great. A couple pumps then walk away. Come back and the oil is all sucked out.

if ya don't have the special dip stick all the way to the bottom. the tool skargo uses works great. it's what i use too... very clean way to do the deed..
    'Lime Time'
    1975 AristoCraft Nineteen
    Mercruiser 165hp (chevy 250 L6), MC-1 drive

Thanks for the feedback, folks. That Moeller pump is a pricey little bugger. Sounds like the way to go though. Ordering one now.

Thanks!
    2001 Cruisers Yacht 2870 - Twin 5.0 Volvo DP DuoProps

Honorary Moderator Emeritus Don S's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skargo View Post
    When did they change that Don? I see people mention they hook the hose to the top of the tube a lot here.
    My engine is a 1978 5.7, I have to stick the tube inside of the dipstick tube, but it works great. A couple pumps then walk away. Come back and the oil is all sucked out.

It was in the early to mid 80's they started using the dipstick hooked to the pan, not sure exactly when. If the dipstick tube is attached to the bottom of the pan, you don't need a tube inside it.
    Don S.

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Don S View Post
    It was in the early to mid 80's they started using the dipstick hooked to the pan, not sure exactly when. If the dipstick tube is attached to the bottom of the pan, you don't need a tube inside it.
    Gotcha, I had heard of people hooking them to the tube and was confused.

I actually got my Moeller from a vendor who gives coupons for so much money spent, made it cheap. I think it retails around $60 IIRC.

like you, i was skeptical of all pumps due to reading reviews and opted on the Moeller also. west marine had it on sale online last year so i bought it then. my buddy went to buy one a couple months ago and they weren't selling them anymore in the store or on the web. i get one of there numerous emails the other day and see there selling them again under there own name! anyway, it is an awesome pump and comes with both tubes for the screw on and non screw on dipstick tubes. now if i only had a oil filter relocation kit, id be set! man did i make a mess getting a frozen filter off.
    "Just Chillin" 1995 Donzi 275 Medallion Merc 7.4 I/O Bravo 3

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by scutly View Post
    like you, i was skeptical of all pumps due to reading reviews and opted on the Moeller also. west marine had it on sale online last year so i bought it then. my buddy went to buy one a couple months ago and they weren't selling them anymore in the store or on the web. i get one of there numerous emails the other day and see there selling them again under there own name! anyway, it is an awesome pump and comes with both tubes for the screw on and non screw on dipstick tubes. now if i only had a oil filter relocation kit, id be set! man did i make a mess getting a frozen filter off.
    I dumped oil in my bilge, by dropping my filter. I'll use a freezer bag next time!
    I have one of those oil absorbers in my bilge right now.

Petty Officer 1st Class PitchFork's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skargo View Post
    I dumped oil in my bilge, by dropping my filter. I'll use a freezer bag next time!
    I have one of those oil absorbers in my bilge right now.
    Great idea!! I did not think of using a freezer bag when taking of the oil filter off. I just used an old towel and put it under the filter. Now a can save a towel. Thanks
    1994 19' Chaparral 1930SST Bowrider 5.7L 4bbl Rochester

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PitchFork View Post
    Great idea!! I did not think of using a freezer bag when taking of the oil filter off. I just used an old towel and put it under the filter. Now a can save a towel. Thanks
    I didn't think of it either, I read about it here AFTER I made a mess haha

Petty Officer 1st Class 83Evinrude's Avatar

2004 Glastron SX 195
    Volvo 5.0GL-D SX-M

Chief Petty Officer

Ditto on the Mueller/West Marine pump. I've used it on my last two boats. Warm your engine first, then shut it down. Put the plastic hose in or on the dipstick tube (I always stuck the hose down the tube.) and pump a few times. Suction does the rest. Using a funnel, pour the used oil into a couple of gallon jugs and recycle properly. Keep some toweling handy for any drips as you remove the tubing. The 305/350 oil filter is a real challenge if you don't have a relocation kit. A large ziplock bag works great once you've got it loose. Remember to check that the old rubber seal came off with the filter. Put a little oil on the new seal and fill the filter before you install it. Then sit back and have a cold one. Good luck. Hy

Quote Originally Posted by littlebookworm View Post
    The 305/350 oil filter is a real challenge if you don't have a relocation kit.
    my first oil change ever, i ripped the bottom of the filter off with a strap wrench and the top of the filter didn't budge. two hours later i was ready to pull the motor. i finally contorted myself into a upside down unnatural position where it was either gonna come loose or i would have broke my arm. i screamed a little and bled some but i won! paid much homage to the boat gods that night.
    "Just Chillin" 1995 Donzi 275 Medallion Merc 7.4 I/O Bravo 3