Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Cadet

Default Mercruiser 3.0 L starter problems

I have a 3.0 Litre mercruiser I/O and have had some recent problems with the starter. I tested my battery and it wasn't holding charge well, so I replaced it. With new, fully charged battery, I went to start it the other day and just got clicks, without the engine even starting to turn over. I checked all of my connections and they were good and there weren't any corroded or faulty wires. I believe that the starter is going bad, as we were able to tap the starter with a wrench and it started right up. After that, it started fine the rest of the day. What I'm asking is there a special "marine" starter that I need to purchase and if so, what brand, type, etc. do you recommend?

Thanks,

Scott

Cadet

Default Re: Mercruiser 3.0 L starter problems

Thank you very much for the quick reply and I think that sounds like a great idea and I will do just that. If the starter does need to be replaced, do you have a suggestion for a good replacement part and possible on-line source to obtain it?

Thanks,
    Scott

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Trust me, you want to rebuild it. New ones are VERY expensive.
    '96 Marada MX1, 3.0LX, A1GII.

Cadet

I'm finally getting ready to remove this starter so that it can be re-built. I haven't removed a starter from a boat or a car, so could someone please provide some instructions as to how this is best performed? I can usually figure stuff like this out, but if anyone that has done it already can provide some insight that would make my job that much easier. I thank you very much in advance and if you are ever in the Mattawan, Mi area, I'll take you fishing. :-)

Thanks,
    Scott

Pretty simple if you have access. Remove battery cable from battery first, then remove wires from starter. Then remove bolts. Remove starter.

If you go to the top of the page you will see a post titled "Adults Only." You can download the proper manual for your boat there for more details.

If the starter does need to be replaced, do you have a suggestion for a good replacement part and possible on-line source to obtain it?
    Ayuh,... Click right here,+ follow the path for the 1 that fits your motor, bring the serial#,+ vintage...

It bolts on with 2 bolts, straight Up from below,+ to the aft...
    The bolts take a 9/16" socket...
    Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Cadet

I've looked into having the starter rebuilt and it costs just as much if not more than the replacement (around $175). Would you still recommend getting it re-built or should I get a new one? If I do get a new one, does anyone know which is a better starter - Sierra or Mallory?

Thanks,
    Scott

Honorary Moderator Emeritus Don S's Avatar

Between the 2 choices of starters you listed, go with the 3rd, and get yours rebuilt.
    Don S.

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

I'd look a little harder. My Starter/alt shop does my all my starters for 60, 75 if they put a new solenoid on it, I re-sell them for their otc price of 125.
    I do take them apart first to make sure i'm not giving them junk though.
    just because you found it that way... doesn't mean it's supposed to be that way.

Part of diagnostics is spending time figuring out not only what the problem is, but also sorting through what it isn't.

The older the engine is, the chances of it having more than 1 problem goes up exponentially

Boating has always been a rich mans hobby. Buying a new boat gets cheaper every year, but the maintenance, the repairs, and the overall cost of ownership of a boat has never gotten any cheaper.

Supreme Mariner

depends on if this is the old delco field coil style starter or the newer lighter way easier to deal with PMGR starter.
    the former is cheap and easy to rebuild the latter is pretty much a throw away.
    if you have the PMGR starter you MUST use new starter bolts at reassembly and its reccomended for even the old style starter.
    I can buy the PMGR starter all day long brand new with a one year warrenty for about 125 from several suppliers. in fact here at iboats you can find them.
    the 3.0 has been in production roughly 25 years and the starters have changed a bit over the years.
    the old style can be replaced with the newer PMGR style but you have to pay attention to the number of teeth on the drive and whether its staggered mount or straight.