Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Default Manifold removal 3.0 mercruiser??

I am the not so proud owner of a 1997 Bayliner Capri 1950. I think I have a cracked block, but I need to remove the manifold to see the problem. This is a 3.0 mercruiser motor. I don't want to just start taking bolts out blindly. Does anyone no where I can get a good manual that shows how to do this the correct way? OR does anyone here have any advice on removal or pictures??

Thanks

Lieutenant Commander

Default Re: Manifold removal 3.0 mercruiser??

e-Bay search is one. Order manual from your local Merc dealer is another. Stay away from the Clymer, Seloc manuals. Stick with OEM stuff. Failed to mention if it was your intake or exhaust you were needing to remove. Either way bolt removal is not an issue - replacing them to the correct torque sequence is. So have at it - but find that manual for replacement.

Angry Re: Manifold removal 3.0 mercruiser??

Quote Originally Posted by gcboat View Post
    e-Bay search is one. Order manual from your local Merc dealer is another. Stay away from the Clymer, Seloc manuals. Stick with OEM stuff. Failed to mention if it was your intake or exhaust you were needing to remove. Either way bolt removal is not an issue - replacing them to the correct torque sequence is. So have at it - but find that manual for replacement.
    Damn, I ordered a Seloc manual before I got back here to check for responses.....

Ok, I got that order canceled and I am ordering an OEM service manual. I will let you know when I get started. I am getting water I thought from the side of the block, but I went home and took a picture and it appears like it is coming from under the exhaust manifold. I want know until I tear it down next week. I am going to post pics step by step in case someone else runs into this problem down the road. Wish me luck! I am mechanically inclined, but never worked on a boat motor before.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lieutenant Commander

Boat motor, car motor - basically the same critter. There are several differences in the guts but nothing really strange. Starter, alternator - all spark proof. Carb cover wire mesh or grill, never paper, and so on.
    Does the water appear when the motor is running? A loose or cracked hose close by? Sorry, just throwing out stuff. Good luck - keep us posted on what you find.

Boat motor, car motor - basically the same critter. There are several differences in the guts but nothing really strange. Starter, alternator - all spark proof. Carb cover wire mesh or grill, never paper, and so on.
    Does the water appear when the motor is running? A loose or cracked hose close by? Sorry, just throwing out stuff. Good luck - keep us posted on what you find.
    Yes, it started out slow while it was running so I thought it might be a head gasket, but the motor wasn't skipping at all. I ran it again the next day and slowly more and more water started streaming from what I thought was the side of the block so I figured a cracked block. I checked the oil and it is a little on the high side, but not milky so I am scared water has gotten into the oil pan. I looked down the oil fill cap and the rockers look clean so I don't know what the hell is going on. The boat had been sitting without be winterized so it could be a number of things... I am hoping just the manifold is cracked and I can replace it, but I want know until I get it off....I should have my OEM manual by next week and pray for the best...

Chief Petty Officer

Here is the mercury manual for your engine in digital format...........

and slowly more and more water started streaming from what I thought was the side of the block so I figured a cracked block.
    Ayuh,.....

I think you're going to find a big Crack in the side of the block, just below the deck........
    Just above that rust.....
    Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

Quote Originally Posted by billbayliner View Post
    Here is the mercury manual for your engine in digital format...........
    Thank you so much brother!! This will help so I can go ahead and get started.

Quote Originally Posted by Bond-o View Post
    Ayuh,.....

I think you're going to find a big Crack in the side of the block, just below the deck........
    Just above that rust.....
    Hey brother, you were 100% correct! I tore it down last night and as you can see from the pic it is BAD! Crack is 10 inches long. I have been in touch with "Lock-N-Stitch" and they are going to supply me with the pins I need for repair. I hope it works as good as they claim it does, so wish me luck. I will keep pictures updated with the progress and the finial outcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Petty Officer 1st Class Dante04SRT's Avatar

Thats the same place mine was cracked:

WAITIN' FOR SUMMER!

2007 Ebbtide 200 SE w/ 4.3 Merc

SOLD ----> 1987 16.2' ThunderCraft Regency 3.0 Merc

LESSON LEARNED: ALWAYS CHECK COMPRESSION BEFORE YOU BUY!

Honorary Moderator Emeritus Don S's Avatar

I hope it works as good as they claim it does, so wish me luck

With that size crack OUTSIDE, I would be seriously worrried about an internal crack that you can't see. One that will fill your oil full of water in short order. Won't happen if the crack is smaller than the outside one, as the pressure won't be there. If I were in your shoes, I would be looking for another engine and not throw money at that block at all.
    Don S.

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante04SRT View Post
    Thats the same place mine was cracked:

Hey brother, did you trash the block??

Quote Originally Posted by Don S View Post

With that size crack OUTSIDE, I would be seriously worrried about an internal crack that you can't see. One that will fill your oil full of water in short order. Won't happen if the crack is smaller than the outside one, as the pressure won't be there. If I were in your shoes, I would be looking for another engine and not throw money at that block at all.
    Don, I do have water in my oil, so there has to be a crack internally correct?? So you are saying if the crack on the inside is smaller then than the one on the outside I want get water in my oil??

Quote Originally Posted by bigbencher59 View Post
    Don, I do have water in my oil, so there has to be a crack internally correct?? So you are saying if the crack on the inside is smaller then than the one on the outside I want get water in my oil??
    I think he is saying that with an external crack that size & an internal crack that is putting water into your oil, that your block is toast & it is time for a new engine.....
    Disclaimer!: In my inexpert opinion......

Honorary Moderator Emeritus Don S's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Haut Medoc View Post
    I think he is saying that with an external crack that size & an internal crack that is putting water into your oil, that your block is toast & it is time for a new engine.....
    That is exactly it.
    Don S.

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
    That is what the forums are for.
    Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

That is exactly it.
    Any ideas on where to buy a new block from??

That is exactly it.
    I have one other question:

When I checked the dip stick the level was high and the oil looked clear. When I drained the oil this weekend it was completely black? I am assuming the high level on the dip stick indicates water in the oil, but is there anyway to make sure of this before I trash the block??