Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Thread: Log damage

Seaman

Default Log damage

Well it was a great day out on the water until I found a submerged log floating down the river. It ripped the lower half right off. I was cruising at about 20 MPH when it happened. I felt it hit and immediately the RPMs shot up. I had my hand on the throttle and was able to quickly throttle down and turn the engine off but obviously the damage was already done. I know I need a new/rebuilt stern drive unit. I am looking for advice from people who may have had a similar collision and if they found anything else damaged besides the stern drive.
    I have checked the hull for cracks and canít find anything. The transom was rebuilt this year with new wood and is solid.

My plan is to pull the drive check bearings and alignment and install a new drive.
    Also how often does this happen? I have never personally seen any fellow boaters hit something that actually broke the stern in half.

Photos included:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Seaman Apprentice

Default Re: Log damage

I've never seen anything like that before. That hurts seeing that, see if your insurance would actually cover something like this. My parents told me that our policy covers the engine and outdrive.

You may want to remove the bottom half and have it inspected for damage. It may be reusable. You can get a top half new from SEI for $650-$750 depending on what year it is.

23' Nordic Viking
    500HP BB Chevy
    TRS Drive

WOW!! I hit a log last weekend and was pissed about trashing a prop and a hydrofoil. Now I feel fortunate. Sorry for the bad luck

Petty Officer 1st Class

My Dad's boat has hit a log before. Insurance covered it. Damage was bad enough that they wanted to total the boat, but he got the money and kept the boat.

Chris

Seaman

Well I put a dial indicator on the lower drive shaft and prop shaft and they are not bent. This is some good news.
    I drained the oil and a small amount of water was present so I filled the lower with fresh oil and re drained.
    I will be purchasing a new upper later this week and be back out on the water soon.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

WOW -- that's incredible -- never seen one fail like that!! -- Must have been a preditor log -- Your prop will need to be replaced or repaired too....

Just My 2 Cents!

Holy Crap! Even my weed-eater laughs at me now!
    Dang oil companies.....

Senior Chief Petty Officer badkins50's Avatar

wow farmer, glad everyone is ok. from the looks of it that had to of been a pretty good force. it's good to see you are plan to getting back ning to get back out there as soon as you can. good luck and hope everything works out for you.
    Starcraft Chieftain V21 Sea Ray 210CC SXL