Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Default Help my boat is sinking. It is taking on water

I have a 1976 25 ft sea ray with a pre alpha mercruiser I bought it after sitting 10 years. I replaced the bellows and shift cable. When I put it in the water I am taking ona lot of water from the ujoint bellows area. From what I can see itís coming from the ujoint bellows area but is hard to see. Is there anywhere else the water could be coming from besides the bellows? It does not take on water when running on muffs.
    Thank you

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Default Re: Help my boat is sinking. It is taking on water

It could take on water from a million places......Did you use adhesive on the bellows? Dunno if your supposed to on the pre alphas or not....
    'Dehydrated'

93' Nova 202 Spyder 350 Mag

I did put sealer on the bellows. they seem tight where they are.
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by utfisherman View Post
    I did put sealer on the bellows. they seem tight where they are.
    thank you
    What kind of sealer did you use?

Put water in the bilge when it is on the trailer and see where it comes out.

I used clear silicone as a sealer is that bad ?

Lieutenant Junior Grade 90stingray's Avatar

This sounds like a rotted transom. Just back it in the water leave it on the trailer. Then get back there and see where its coming from. Use a flashlight and mirror to help you look around. Goodluck.
    Toy - 2001 Glastron GX185, 4.3 Alpha One
    Tow rig - 2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Petty Officer 3rd Class

it's not good. silicone is not the specified adhesive, just did mine on an mc-1 ("pre-alpha").

Seaman

Another possibility is the shift cable bellows. If this isn't right or tight it can sink a boat fast.

Take a look at the photo by Fishermark attached:

You can see right into the bellows? How bout that large gasket that's between the drive and bellhousing? If water leaks by it guess where it is going?
    Attached Images Attached Images

are you talking about the gasket you can see in the pohot?I was wondering about that one I had some problems getting the out drive on when ii changed the bellows

Yes, its bad. You should be using bellows adhesive. It appears that you are very inexperienced working on boats. My suggestion would be to take it to a shop and let an expert do the work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by 300sflyer View Post
    It appears that you are very inexperienced working on boats. My suggestion would be to take it to a shop and let an expert do the work for you.
    If he were experienced, he wouldnt need to post in the forums. He has replaced the bellows and shift cables already which tells me he has the basic skills. Why would you suggest he let an expert do it? I thought the whole purpose of this forum was to provide help and advice to those of us that have the desire to be able to work on our own boats without the need to pay an "expert" to do our repairs.

Todd
    22' STARCRAFT SS V5
    200hp

Thanks for the support. It doesnt bother me when people make statments like that it tells me they think they know all but they dont. He doesnt know me I spent 20 years as a heavey equipment machianic. I have rebuilt everything from V16 Cat motors to chain saws. There are more than 1 way do to do things and get the same results. remember an open mind is a shut mouth. Thanks for the help guys

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to concur on the bellows adhesive. Although I use a contact cement. The silicon RTV turns into a lubricant after it has been in the water a while. The bellows is hard to see when you are putting those clamps on (especially the aft), and it is possible to overtighten and pull the seal down. You can check by pulling the drive and running your hand along the seal.

I'm doing a transom bellows reseal job myself this week. Just got it apart today, and odered the parts from iboats here.
    --Jim

Quote Originally Posted by yorkboater View Post
    Why would you suggest he let an expert do it? I thought the whole purpose of this forum was to provide help and advice to those of us that have the desire to be able to work on our own boats without the need to pay an "expert" to do our repairs.
    Your right, I don't know his qualifications, or his skill levels, nor do you know mine. I stated what I said because a complete bellows failure due to a faulty installation can indeed sink his boat in a very short time period, and put himself and his passengers in serious danger, not to mention the loss of the boat. This was my concern...

If he wants to continue working on it himself, he should have a Merc OEM service manual, which will help him through the process. Having one before he started, would have been the way to go.

http://search.4shared.com/q/1/mercru...rvice%20manual

Seaman Apprentice

Take a careful look at the transom plate itself. I had an old Chris Craft with an I/O that had severe corrosion from electrolosis that ate right through the transom plate. This was probably caused by stray electrical current from a faulty shore power connection at the marina of the previous owner.

Petty Officer 2nd Class brhodes's Avatar

So to help rule out the million other things that can cause water to leak into a boat, did you put it in the water before the bellows change? Was it leaking water as heavily then?

Assuming it is the bellows/change in bellows, my first guess would be the large/thick rubber ring referred to above. You should have used bellows adhesive, not silicone, but if you had the bellows tight it wouldn't let that much water in regardless of the adhesive used. Pull the outdrive and check that rubber ring. Cost you a few bucks in gaskets, doesn't take too long. Once you've satisfied yourself it's not related to that, move on to the other stuff.

Forget the critics above regardless of anybody's qualifications, as though they've never made a mistake. I would however get the service manuals available, check sticky above if you haven't already. Just my 0.02, for the record I'm unqualified to do almost everything.
    1985 Chris Craft Scorpion 210BR
    Merc 260 A367223
    Alpha I-MR A350934