Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Seaman Apprentice

Default drain plugs on 305 5.0L v8?

im new to sterndrives but have checked out the winterization section of this board. purchased new '90 boat and had the shop rewinterize it for me until i learn. just got my seloc manual and it says to drain 6 plugs (3 on each side: 1 is manifold, one is block, one is at elbow), plus one petcock on each side, plus lower water hoses. my confusion is that the shop said this engine only had 4 drain plugs in the block (2 on each side). they left them open and i need to close them when i got out the first time. so, im trying to make sure they got it all, and which is right so i can not only close them in spring but do this next season myself. can anyone clarify that has this engine?
    1990 Chaparral 2000 SL 5.0L v8

I come from a land down-under...Perth, Australia

Default Re: drain plugs on 305 5.0L v8?

Quote Originally Posted by neuro242 View Post
    ... seloc manual...
    I believe this is the problem.... Go to the Adults Only section of this forum and download the correct manual for your engine.... I believe you'll have a much easier time with the genuine item.

Chris..........
    The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100' below...

1972 Bertram 'Bahia Mar' 20
    2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha 1 Gen II (0W829301)
    Please don't send service questions in private messages. That's what the forum is for. Messages of thanks, always accepted.
    Member of the month - April 2013. http://www.iboats.com/blog/achris-member-of-the-month/

Seaman Apprentice

the one i need (MercruiserManual15.pdf) is corrupt every time i dl it. the #6 pdf is fine but doesnt include the engine info i need.

I come from a land down-under...Perth, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by neuro242 View Post
    the one i need (MercruiserManual15.pdf) is corrupt every time i dl it. the #6 pdf is fine but doesnt include the engine info i need.
    I just d/l it and it works fine for me... Did you download into your browser, or do a "Save as"? I always Save as for PDFs. I have had problems downloading into a browser...

Chris...........
    The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100' below...

1972 Bertram 'Bahia Mar' 20
    2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha 1 Gen II (0W829301)
    Please don't send service questions in private messages. That's what the forum is for. Messages of thanks, always accepted.
    Member of the month - April 2013. http://www.iboats.com/blog/achris-member-of-the-month/

Seaman Apprentice

Got it. Had to get it from one of the other sources. The link for #15 on the thread itself was still bad every time it downloaded. (yes, did save as. Im a web developer) :-)

Chief Petty Officer

OK, now that you've got the correct manuals, you should be able to find all the drain plugs. Usually, there are two on the engine one or two on each manifold, and one or two on each riser. If you are worried about not closing all of them before you put the boat in the water, start the engine on muffs and check if water is spraying into the bilge. If it is, you missed one or more. If not, you're good to go. Just double check evrything the first time you start it in the water. Next season end, when you winterize it, remove the drain plugs and clear out the holes using a small scredriver or piece of wire. Safe boating. Hy