Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Petty Officer 2nd Class mark_fitzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    120

    Default Audio Warning System

    Hi guys

    Quick and easy question, I have a 1995 Regal 182 4.3 mercuiser bowrider.
    Can any one tell me the following.

    Does this boat come with an engine audio alarm system for the temp and oil etc?

    if it does, how does this work? and how do I know if mine is working?

    1995 Regal 182 Bowrider
    Chev 262 4.3LT V6 Marine Motor
    with Alpha 1 Gen II

  2. #2
    Moderator achris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    I come from a land down-under...Perth, Australia
    Posts
    15,115

    Default Re: Audio Warning System

    Yes it does...

    The alarm sensors are switches, and there are 3 of them. One for low oil pressure, one for high temperature, one for low drive oil. When the switch is tripped (alarm condition) it provides a short to the engine block (ground).

    When the key is on power flows to the alarm buzzer on one wire and the other wire is connected to all three alarm switches. If any one of them closes (goes to ground) it completes the circuit and the alarm buzzer sounds... That's why when you turn the key on you get an alarm immediately... That's because the oil pressure is low.

    Any more questions?

    Chris......
    The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100' below...



    1972 Bertram 'Bahia Mar' 20
    2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha 1 Gen II (0W829301)
    **
    Please don't send service questions in private messages. That's what the forum is for. Messages of thanks, always accepted.
    **
    Member of the month - April 2013. http://www.iboats.com/blog/achris-member-of-the-month/

  3. #3
    Petty Officer 2nd Class mark_fitzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    120

    Default Re: Audio Warning System

    so in simple terms,your saying

    1. That at anytime if the motor should overheat, the audio alarm should sound so that you can switch off the motor thus saving from any major damage.

    2. If the oil has no pressure eg Bad oil pump oil low oil the Audio Alarm will go off so that you can switch motor off, thus saving from any major damage.

    3. If there is no or low oil in the drive oil reservoir the Audio alarm will sound saving any major damage to the leg.

    Is this correct?

    1995 Regal 182 Bowrider
    Chev 262 4.3LT V6 Marine Motor
    with Alpha 1 Gen II

  4. #4
    Senior Chief Petty Officer cooter2506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dillsburg, PA
    Posts
    733

    Default Re: Audio Warning System

    Bingo!!!!!
    1994 Crownline 182BR w/4.3LX 4bbl Alpha 1 gen 2
    2007 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT w/5.7 HEMI
    2004 Chevy Tahoe w/5.3
    1970 Chevelle SS 396-OK its the 18 year old daughters car but hell its fun to drive!!

  5. #5
    Fleet Admiral HT32BSX115's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    7,799

    Default Re: Audio Warning System

    Quote Originally Posted by mark_fitzy View Post
    so in simple terms,your saying

    1. That at anytime if the motor should overheat, the audio alarm should sound so that you can switch off the motor thus saving from any major damage.

    2. If the oil has no pressure eg Bad oil pump oil low oil the Audio Alarm will go off so that you can switch motor off, thus saving from any major damage.

    3. If there is no or low oil in the drive oil reservoir the Audio alarm will sound saving any major damage to the leg.

    Is this correct?

    Yes.......AND in addition, when the key is on with the engine NOT running (I.E. no oil pressure) the alarm will sound.

    If the wire to the alarm is frayed and touches ground somewhere, the alarm will sound.


    Cheers,


    Rick
    73 de Rick
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I use xxx oil and have never had a problem........
    1987 FourWinns 211 Liberator, 7.4L- Bravo III installed by ME,
    Formerly OMG 460 King Kobra powered
    1947 Stinson 108-2 Station Wagon
    , Franklin 6A-335B. Hartzell CS 2-blade prop
    -
    All PM's cheerfully answered! Please ask tech questions in the appropriate forum so everyone's included

  6. #6
    Supreme Mariner
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Kitty Hawk NC
    Posts
    20,072

    Default Re: Audio Warning System

    and not ALL hulls actually had an alarm kit even though the engine had the switches.
    horns cost money.

  7. #7
    Petty Officer 1st Class scutly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Great South Bay, Long Island, NY
    Posts
    368

    Default Re: Audio Warning System

    quoted from my original mercruiser operation manual that came with my Regal after mentioning water temp, oil pressure and drive fluid level.

    "IMPORTANT: Warning buzzer also will sound if ignition key is turned to RUN position and engine is not started within 7 to 14 seconds. this allows the operator to test the warning buzzer, which should be done at least once every 5 hours of operation."

    my buzzer works this way. NOT immediately as you turn the key to the on position.
    "Just Chillin" 1995 Donzi 275 Medallion Merc 7.4 I/O Bravo 3

  8. #8
    Fleet Admiral HT32BSX115's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    7,799

    Default Re: Audio Warning System

    Quote Originally Posted by scutly View Post
    "IMPORTANT: Warning buzzer also will sound if ignition key is turned to RUN position and engine is not started within 7 to 14 seconds. this allows the operator to test the warning buzzer, which should be done at least once every 5 hours of operation."

    my buzzer works this way. NOT immediately as you turn the key to the on position.
    Yes, some of them had an additional timing circuit that didn't do anything when you initially turned the key on.....just another thing to "break"

    It just depends on how they're wired.
    73 de Rick
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I use xxx oil and have never had a problem........
    1987 FourWinns 211 Liberator, 7.4L- Bravo III installed by ME,
    Formerly OMG 460 King Kobra powered
    1947 Stinson 108-2 Station Wagon
    , Franklin 6A-335B. Hartzell CS 2-blade prop
    -
    All PM's cheerfully answered! Please ask tech questions in the appropriate forum so everyone's included

  9. #9
    Moderator achris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    I come from a land down-under...Perth, Australia
    Posts
    15,115

    Default Re: Audio Warning System

    Quote Originally Posted by rodbolt View Post
    and not ALL hulls actually had an alarm kit even though the engine had the switches.
    horns cost money.
    With those engines the alarm buzzer was supplied by Mercury in the harness and instrument kit as part of the engine package.

    Chris.......
    The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100' below...



    1972 Bertram 'Bahia Mar' 20
    2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha 1 Gen II (0W829301)
    **
    Please don't send service questions in private messages. That's what the forum is for. Messages of thanks, always accepted.
    **
    Member of the month - April 2013. http://www.iboats.com/blog/achris-member-of-the-month/

  10. #10
    Moderator achris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    I come from a land down-under...Perth, Australia
    Posts
    15,115

    Default Re: Audio Warning System

    Quote Originally Posted by scutly View Post
    quoted from my original mercruiser operation manual that came with my Regal after mentioning water temp, oil pressure and drive fluid level.

    "IMPORTANT: Warning buzzer also will sound if ignition key is turned to RUN position and engine is not started within 7 to 14 seconds. this allows the operator to test the warning buzzer, which should be done at least once every 5 hours of operation."

    my buzzer works this way. NOT immediately as you turn the key to the on position.
    That timing circuit was on engines up to 1993 1/2, from late 93 the timing circuit was dropped.
    The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100' below...



    1972 Bertram 'Bahia Mar' 20
    2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha 1 Gen II (0W829301)
    **
    Please don't send service questions in private messages. That's what the forum is for. Messages of thanks, always accepted.
    **
    Member of the month - April 2013. http://www.iboats.com/blog/achris-member-of-the-month/

  11. #11
    Moderator achris's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    I come from a land down-under...Perth, Australia
    Posts
    15,115

    Default Re: Audio Warning System

    Quote Originally Posted by HT32BSX115 View Post
    ...If the wire .... is frayed and touches ground somewhere....
    And not the first time... You have a thing for frayed wires, yes?

    Cheers....
    The world takes on a whole new perspective when viewed from 100' below...



    1972 Bertram 'Bahia Mar' 20
    2006 Mercruiser 4.3MPI (0W617679) w/Alpha 1 Gen II (0W829301)
    **
    Please don't send service questions in private messages. That's what the forum is for. Messages of thanks, always accepted.
    **
    Member of the month - April 2013. http://www.iboats.com/blog/achris-member-of-the-month/

  12. #12
    Lieutenant Commander Rocky_Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    1,798

    Default Re: Audio Warning System

    Quote Originally Posted by achris View Post
    With those engines the alarm buzzer was supplied by Mercury in the harness and instrument kit as part of the engine package.

    Chris.......
    Agreed!

    The buzzer and wiring is there...but the necessary engine 'switches' were missing.

    An easy upgrade...just add the engine switches, and attach the provided wires!

    Happy boating!

Similar Threads

  1. Mercruiser 4.3L Audio Warning
    By soleil in forum Mercruiser I/O & Inboard Engines & Outdrives
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: July 22nd, 2010, 07:41 AM
  2. Audio Warning System
    By Beek1952 in forum Mercruiser I/O & Inboard Engines & Outdrives
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 27th, 2010, 06:14 PM
  3. Audio Warning System sounding
    By cgmacll in forum Mercruiser I/O & Inboard Engines & Outdrives
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: April 23rd, 2010, 01:53 PM
  4. Audio Warning System
    By Mr. Phillips in forum Tahoe Boats
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 23rd, 2009, 10:11 PM
  5. Audio warning system Problems?
    By Mr. Phillips in forum Mercruiser I/O & Inboard Engines & Outdrives
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 22nd, 2009, 04:50 PM
  1. iboats Forum Directory - Over 100,000 forum posts organized by topic