Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Petty Officer 1st Class

Default 1977 Bayliner Quatermaster starter problems

Hi Everyone,

I been reading around this site for a while and now that i have a question i thought i would ask

Im working on a 1977 Bayliner Quartermaster 1950, I dont know what kind of engine exactly its a spittin image of a small block 350. Says volvo penta on it and there is a GM5 Stamped on the intake manifold with a number. 270 out drive.

The problem i am having with is the starter, when i go to start it would crank really slow and the neg on the battery got really hot. So i pulled the starter it was hooked up with 3 wires on one side of the solenoid, one was the battery cable, another i guess went to the ignition and not sure what the 3rd one was, top of the solenoid had the single red/yellow tiny wire from the ignition, and the final post has a metal bracket that runs to the post on the starter itself.

on the starter post was a small black wire that ran to this metal box that said bosch on it, the metal thing has 4 wires total one runs to the engine block, one went with the starter not sure on the other 3.

Starter would move really slow and sometimes whine (like when you go and start your engine but it doesnt start makes that spinning noise) When i hooked it back up to the engine i took that black wire and hooked it to the head of the bolt on the starter bolt thinking it was a ground.

Also when i hooked the battery tester from the positive and the common on the two wires that also hookup with the battery cable on the solenoid i got a 12.76v reading

Had it tested couple places said it spun but wouldnt go back down. The third place put some anti seize on it and tapped it and tested it and it went back down. So i am not sure what problems i am having, i am banking on replacing the starter this week.

Default Re: 1977 Bayliner Quatermaster starter problems

you probably have bad battery cable ends or bad cables themselves.

get a DMM and do a voltage drop test on your cables and solenoids
    just because you found it that way... doesn't mean it's supposed to be that way.

Part of diagnostics is spending time figuring out not only what the problem is, but also sorting through what it isn't.

The older the engine is, the chances of it having more than 1 problem goes up exponentially

Boating has always been a rich mans hobby. Buying a new boat gets cheaper every year, but the maintenance, the repairs, and the overall cost of ownership of a boat has never gotten any cheaper.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmm, they look fairly new and in good shape with no corosion that i can see. But i will check them out and as well as that battery switcher thats in there, switches 2 batterys Batt 1 or batt2 or all on or off

and the neg on the battery got really hot.
    Ayuh,...

Heat is a symptom of Resistence,.... That's Why it got Hot....

I'd start there,...
    But you really should Remove, Sand, Clean, Reinstall,+ Grease ALL of the wiring connections.....

Especially the Grounds......
    Any Grease is Better,..... Than No Grease at All.......

and don't forget to look at the cable ends and the connections on the back of the battery switch too.
    just because you found it that way... doesn't mean it's supposed to be that way.

Part of diagnostics is spending time figuring out not only what the problem is, but also sorting through what it isn't.

The older the engine is, the chances of it having more than 1 problem goes up exponentially

Boating has always been a rich mans hobby. Buying a new boat gets cheaper every year, but the maintenance, the repairs, and the overall cost of ownership of a boat has never gotten any cheaper.

If you find that your cables are fine, just replace the starter.
    1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
    Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
    Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
    "Common sense is not very common"
    "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cousin took starter to shop they took it apart and it was full of rust. So he got a new starter same starter but newer style, new one wont bolt to engine block, can get one it but theother wont go, aye aye aye. Thankfully its not my boat.

I hooked the muffs to mine to start and it fired right up

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got a new starter wouldnt fit, noticed the pinon head was up still shop put it back down still wont fit, shop said was right starter, they made a few phone calls they told us to come back with starter they gave use another one but put the head of the old one on the new body bolts right right and the engine started.

Had to pull some hoses to replace cause they were cracked and noticed the raw water pump impeller was chewed up, went to parts store got new impeller and O ring. Rebuilt raw water pump.

Took boat on water did good but surges at high speed and does not go into reverse easily and if it stalls when putting it in gear its hard to get started again. If and when you can get it into reverse the out drive lifts up fast and then goes down. Plus its hard to get into netural, if you up the throttle speed in neutral it will move, but some times it will go into neutral just fine, the more we tried to use neutral the easier it was.

Pulled air cover off on carb and noticed that it would only squirt gas down one of the barrels at high speeds not both. SO i guess i am looking at a plugged jet. Also it doesnt mist in there it squirts. It idles good and its a pretty quiet motor. At idle i cant see any fuel going into the carb, unless it goes in under the throttle plates. and the top jets are for high speed.