Shop iboats.com for all your boating needs!

Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Seaman

Default Re: need some help here on an old lund im looking to purchase - S-18 Big Resorter 78

Thanks Guys she is getting there im in real hope that they got the steel flex on over
    the weekend but not holding my breath. Will find out tomorrow and if not try and
    SEE what the hold up is. Lil Frustrating but gotta expect that when its not in
    your control and I know my lil project is nuttin compared to some of the builds
    they are doing there.

Seaman

Default Re: need some help here on an old lund im looking to purchase - S-18 Big Resorter 78

Hull is almost ready for the steel flexing and paint..... They are saying this weekend it will be in the booth.
    The weather is not helping as need temps up so it has to be in the heated booth to do this. Other boats
    ahead of mine in line already..... DAMN YOU NOVEMBER WEATHER IN APRIL!

When they water tested the hull they had a few rivits under the runners and are going to drill a small hole in the areas that are marked and Inject Steel flex into the runner and they have done this before with good results of sealing up a rivit from the inside. Do it all again and Id have the hull coated from the inside if possible before welding in the floor..... oh well Live and learn more time, more money but it wont leak.

Tonight I truck bed linered the spare tire carrier that has yet to be installed and getting BORED I even coated the
    power pedastal tubes for the seats lol...... Man I need this tank back before I start overdoing (lol) the trailer!

Seaman

SLAMMED IT!

2+ inches of clearnace still inside. When we load the boat back if needed the fender
    can be unbolted and moved up a lil bit.

BEFORE

AFTER

I have gotten so bored waiting for the hull to come back thatI even
    HERCULINERED the pistons on my seat poles lol.... more durable than
    paint and they looked a lil ratty before.

I need the hull back before I go OVERBOARD lmao

Quote Originally Posted by daveshady View Post
    I need the hull back before I go OVERBOARD lmao
    Too late methinks
    1976 18' Starcraft SuperSport 90HP Evinrude
    Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/18-starcraft-supersport-restoration-357767.html
    1966 16' Starcraft Jupiter 85HP Johnson
    Restoration thread http://forums.iboats.com/starcraft-boats/ezmobees-1966-jupiter-338633.html sold

Seaman

yeah your right.. to late lol

I also pulled the wheels and moved the fenders up about an inch just to make sure
    all is good. Easier to do with no boat on the trailer. They are supposed to be painting
    this weekend.... we will see.......

Seaman

Got my new Rims and Tires yesterday.

Sure was nice of the bird to sit on the side bunk and crap all over the fender lol....

Seaman

Installed the Stainless Steel closed end lug nuts on the wheels and put on some new bearing buddies that
    have the fill indicators in them.

Look a lil blingey need some lake grime on them lol.... But wont rust

Well they are back on my boat now and headed towards the finish.

Its in the paint room getting steel flex injected into the runners on the bottom. Upon water testing there
    were a few issues that came from there so we are making sure to address as many of them as possible.
    Bottom of the rig in all of its 1978 glory.

One of the guys from Phowler Boats getting messy lol injecting some steel flex in the areas they wanted to
    make sure are good to go.

Overnight they applied the product to the bottom of the hull, paint is next then hydroturf and its out of there and
    back to me where I can then get the motor mounted up again and get this tub on the water.

Seaman

Yes were in the home stretch of the paint process. - Telling me will be ready to leave by Wed next WEEK!

Base Coat going on, More color then pebble coating then shadows ect. Cant wait to see it DONE!
    I had to drop off the trailer so when its ready to go to the interior shop at phowler its lower to the
    ground lol. The tub looked so small upside down.

Cant wait to see the finished paint on monday.

Seaman

We have PAINT and Hydro Turf!!! Paint is meant for Open water hunting just broken up a lil wavy works well.

Soon It will be getting its mortor back on may take it back to paint to paint
    it also similar as the boat, then start putting all the stuff on I need for now
    to just GO FISHING!

Seaman

limited to 6 photos lol last one for now

Man, that is SWEET! When I first came across this thread and saw what you bought I said to myself "this guys a whacko for buying that in the shape it was in"
    You certainly proved me wrong. I have a Lund 14.9 Classic and when I see those pics your 18 is HUGE!

I pity those poor duckies, they will never see you coming now They will think they are flying over a floating motel or something and then BOOM . . . hahahha.

And real nice job on all that metal work you did!

Maybe I didn't catch the pic, but did you install any floatation material?

Seaman

Floatation foam was put in under floor before it was skinned out.

Left bunk adjusted, spare tire moved back
    new trans straps put on. Just droped her
    off at The marina to get the Motor put
    back on after its tune up.

Commin along to the finish... of course they are never DONE

Seaman

I missed her maiden testing friday. The marina has the motor back on all gone thru
    tuned up and river tested her. It ran great motor is as smooth as it gets for a big twin engine and the boat handled well got out of the hole and on plane quickly.

I still have work to do before I take it on the water. This weekend I got the onboard
    charger mounted in a bracket we made for it under the front deck, the battery box
    installed rivnuts instead of pop rivits to allow removal. trolling motor mounted and
    I also pulled wire from back to front. I only needed wire for bowlight up there
    but pulled a 4 wire trailer wire instead cause ya never know. Got the seats poped
    in and cover put on sunday just intime for the big storm to roll in with 60mph winds
    to test the cover.... It passed

Few pics from the weekend.

Motor on.. The thing only weighs 200# but it just looks larger.

Used some fuel line around the cut out for the new
    beefy battery cables to run thru.

New bow light

The trollin motor fit perfectly in the mount so it can
    be removed after trips.

The mount we made for the onboard charger. It has
    been mounted on wood on the bracket as not to
    cause any problems when charging up.

Rivnut. I had saved a bunch of these that were discontinued long ago from work.
    Glad I did. The battery box and lid were rivited in by the makers and these will
    allow me to be able to get at the charger if needed.

Exciting photo....

Seaman

New cover.. Fits not like a glove but hard to find a good
    cover for old V-bow boats over 16'. Cant afford a custom
    cover for it right now so this will do fine. And it survived
    the storm.

Most important to me... Gordy seems to like it.

Boat goes back to paint to fix one spot on hydro turf up under front deck and paint motor sometime this week.

Seaman

Local Company did the honors of putting the numbers and such on this AM.

I really hate IOWA and the nice BLUE STICKER!!!

I love how deep this boat is, the power pedastals are in the ALL THE WAY UP position.

Fire extinguisher - Life vests - put in the rear battery and gas tank and Going to take her out FRIDAY!

Seaman

WELL SHE HIT THE WATER!!!!!

Mississippi River wind 5-12 when we left SOUTH.... When we came home 20-25 south and headed south.
    She handled the WAVES that were violent very well. Boat is FAST gets right up and on plane QUICKLY!

http://youtu.be/7_jJdieDPWk

Short Video before my hat started to blow off!

Lock and Dam 13 ramp back in the quite water.

And in the DRINK it went..

Ride out was not bad like I said ride back was borderline vilolent 8)

My wonderful wife enjoying the calm water out....
    It was really to ruff for more pics. When the waves are
    going north with the wind and south current its
    gets nasty out on the big pool.

Seaman

Well only had time to take her out once more and very happy with the performance up the river and back.
    lots of speed and handles well. Got to use the I-Piolt to get me out of the shoreline of the backwaters
    and to the deeper water for the outboard. I can see that comming in handy for duck season for sure with
    the wireless remote and picking up decoys and such.

Since then haven't done much still haven't installed the depth finder decided i don't need one
    up front since i mostly shore fish and surface. I did tape off and bedliner coat the gunnels
    of the rig for durability. Paint just doesn't cut it well when banging around and i got 3 coats
    of herculiner on the rails. Give it 30 days and will be FLAT black just like the trailer. put in 4 black
    cleats for just bumper tie offs and stuff still haven't decided on anchor points for the
    anchors for open water hunting.

Water must reach that blue button and then it kicks on

Bedliner coating on the rail

The coating is just on top and around the front and back. Glad I taped it well and put plastic on the inside and out.

Turned out quite well I think and will add durability to the gunnels.

Petty Officer 1st Class snowman48047's Avatar

Nice job on the rebuild! It should make a sweet duck boat. As an avid duck hunter myself I have a question though. Why the addition of the large platforms both fore and aft? It seems like more "low" floor space would be better. It kinda of resembles a grizzly det up...
    2000 Lund Alaskan SS 20' - 2013 Merc 115hp

Engineers designed it, it should work. Airdvr1227 -July 3rd, 2012, 01:58 PM

Seaman

decks, the boat will be used for fishing and hunting, I also only hunt with 1 other person so we have 8 feet of open floor space between us to use. The open water diver hunting its nice to have the dog on the rear deck where he can watch and go overboard from either side quickly. I plan on getting a rear hatch cover for the back made yet also to make it solid for him to stay there. Duck season for me is 20 days a year so I wanted a boat that I could still enjoy the rest of the year. Duckin just aint what it used to be that is for sure.

I want to say that I really enjoyed watching the progress on this boat. It is way cool seeing this boat restored- She will serve you well....

Seaman

I added a CMC 130 power tilt trim last week, Performs even better now and easier on the BACK!

Quick pick from the launch the other day.

Seaman

Quote Originally Posted by ziemann View Post
    I want to say that I really enjoyed watching the progress on this boat. It is way cool seeing this boat restored- She will serve you well....
    Thanks very much, so far so good still have things to be done for ducker season but I have time at least.

The rig looks great Dave, very nice work

I really like my CMC PT-130 that I got with my boat, should make it easy to bring the leg up if you hit some shallows.

Easy on the back is right, plus the few seconds it takes to run into the back and tilt it up.

Good luck with the boat, hope you get plenty of use out of it

Very interesting thread, I wonder if it would be possible to put the picture back. I am considering a similar modification on a similar boat.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3