Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Cadet

Default When Pumping primer bulb?

When I pump the primer bulb on my fuel tank should it get to a point where it is hard and I cant pump it any more. When I hold the bulb upright the locking mechanism works so that the bulb is hard. Motor is 1989 evinrude with vro still hooked up. Thanks for any replies

Honorary Moderator Emeritus tashasdaddy's Avatar

Default Re: When Pumping primer bulb?

yes, if you are using the an aftermarket hose, there is an arrow on the bulb, point it to the sky, and they usually work. after the motor starts, the bulb will soften up, as the fuel pump is pulling fuel thru it.
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Cadet

So if I pump it and it never gets hard then I probably have a fuel leak somewhere.

Captain

I would prefer to say that the bulb becomes firm and that you cannot pump it so easily.
    If you have a grip like a gorilla you would probably still be able to force fuel past the needle valve even when the float chamber is full. Also if there is any air in the bulb it will still feel a bit squidgy.

Honorary Moderator Emeritus tashasdaddy's Avatar

bad bulb, leaky hose or fitting, float needle not closing, are the carbs overflowing?
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Cadet

there is a big cover over the carbs that I will take off and see if any gas is going anywhere when I pump the bulb.

Supreme Mariner

That's a good idea. And. don't break the fuel pump membrane with excessive pressure on the primer bulb. Before you point the bulb's arrow to the sky, make sure it is pointing to the engine hose, not the tank.

Chief Petty Officer Captain Caveman's Avatar

Mine usually takes 2-4 pumps. When I feel a change in the pressure required to squeeze the bulb, I know that I'm there. The point is really that if before getting to a hard-to-squeeze point, there should be enough fuel in the float bowl to start the motor. A float bowl doesn't need to be full for the engine to start, you just need to have enough gas in there. The fuel pump will get the bowl filled up once the engine is running.