Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Petty Officer 1st Class licketdsplit756's Avatar

Default rebuilding engine ? do i grease all the parts. use gasket sealer?

have my engine down to bare block installing new internal parts. do i grease them and do i use permatex gasket sealer? there was no kind of oil or gresse on any parts as i tore it apart. how the engine runs without oil is beyound me.what oil should i use before installing pistons? should i grease the cycilinder walls also. is there a spray lube i can use to grease all the parts? lot of questions for such a small mind as mine lol

Smell our Dairy Air.

Default Re: rebuilding engine ? do i grease all the parts. use gasket sealer?

Use 2-stroke oil and coat the parts, don't use sealer on new gaskets unless the machine surfaces are damaged.
    Hey, Have you seen? They make Really Cool life preservers nowadays.
    So "Looking Dorky" is no longer an excuse for not wearing one.

Lieutenant Commander

FYI,the crankcase needs to be joined with a gel seal,I know OMC sold their own,surely someone else makes it too,you didnt mention it so I wanted to ,ive seen some big mistakes by people that got that part wrong

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you use an anaerobic sealer and prep spray before joining the crankcase halves back together? Or what did you end up using to seal the case halves back together?

"how the engine runs without oil is beyound me" - sounds like we found the reason for the rebuild jus kiddin, the oil is mixed with the fuel - check it out: http://science.howstuffworks.com/two-stroke2.htm
    It's all about the tools.

"If the ocean is glass flat and the sun is shining, you open up the special memory compartment of your brain and start recording the smells, sounds, sights and feelings." -- Philster

"Poets talk about 'spots of time,' but it is really fishermen who experience eternity compressed into a moment. No one can tell what a spot of time is until suddenly the whole world is a fish and the fish is gone. I shall remember that son of a b**** forever." -- N. Maclean

Petty Officer 1st Class licketdsplit756's Avatar

the motor is just back from the machine shop. was no need in braking the block apart. during reassembly. the gasket set says nothing about sealers. been a practice of mine in all mechanical parts as cars and so on to use permatex. my question is no or yes. and what sealer to use. pretty simple question.?

Petty Officer 2nd Class
    On Bull Shoals Lake near Branson, Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by licketdsplit756 View Post
    the motor is just back from the machine shop. was no need in braking the block apart. during reassembly. the gasket set says nothing about sealers. been a practice of mine in all mechanical parts as cars and so on to use permatex. my question is no or yes. and what sealer to use. pretty simple question.?
    One reason for not getting your "simple question" answered is that different components require different types of sealers. If you don't have a service manual, get one. Even my cheapie Seloc manual describes where and what needs gasket sealer and what kind of gasket sealer. The manual will also explain how a 2-cycle engine works and is lubricated.