Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Cadet

Thumbs down johnson power tilt still leaks down

I've checked the manual release, fluid level, there is no external fluid leaking. Can some one send me a diagram of the setup, or tell me if there is a valve stuck or something along that nature?
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Honorary Moderator Emeritus tashasdaddy's Avatar

Default Re: johnson power tilt still leaks down

diagrams at BRP-evinrude.com literature, engine diagrams. probably a blown o riing.
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

It has an internal rubber valve which wears out and leaks. I rebuilt mine, it's a JOB! and pretty soon it started leaking again.

It has more than 1 internal valve. If the o ring at the manual release valve is ok, and you're not leaking at the trim or tilt cylinder piston or sleeve o rings, your problem will lie with 1 of 2 valves. The first is on the port side, below the motor. If you look beneath the motor, there will be 3 spots for pressure testing the unit. Check the valve in between the first and second spot, counting in from the boat side. The second valve you should check is also beneath the motor, but pretty much centered beneath it. It is inline with the second pressure test spot (the middle one) that I spoke of, right after the line "bends" or turns into an elbow. Check them in that order. The first valve that I spoke of is usually at fault when both the tilt and trim leak down when left standing, the second valve is usually at fault when the tilt leaks down but the trim holds while left standing. When checking these valves what you are looking for is that they are full and free movement of core, that the outlets are not clogged and that there is no dirt, chips in seat area holding valve open, causing it to lower. Let me know what you find. Gl Chris