Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Petty Officer 2nd Class

Default How does a GROWLER work?

The Johnson factory manual talks about using a "growler" to test the starter armature windings. Can anyone tell me how this device works and how to test the windings without one?

Admiral

Default Re: How does a GROWLER work?

I can't think of any better explanation than this: http://www.martindaleco.com/pdfs/Ele...t/Growlers.pdf Really, there's no good way to test armatures without one. Best you can do is give it a close examination looking for signs of overheated coils or mechanical damage. If you can find a local automotive starter/alternator rebuild shop, you might be able to drop your armature off with them for testing.

Supreme Mariner
    Port Charlotte FL but never the same since hurricane Charlie

Isnt a "growler" the definition of the owner of a motor who has a bad starter?

Chief Petty Officer

Good one Dhadley.

Chief Petty Officer

Where I'm from, you go to your local microbrewery, hand them your empty growler, have them fill it with 64 ounces of your favorite ale, then take it out on your boat with some fishing rods and drink it.

Supreme Mariner
    Port Charlotte FL but never the same since hurricane Charlie

Hummm....short trip, eh?

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by farginicehole2: Where I'm from, you go to your local microbrewery, hand them your empty growler, have them fill it with 64 ounces of your favorite ale, then take it out on your boat with some fishing rods and drink it.
    Obviously you're not from the Land of Oz.

Supreme Mariner

only 64 ounces? wow what a short fishing trip. a growler will set up a magnetic field that if a winding is shorted to the iron core will cause a hacksaw blade or similar metal to be attracted to the core. used one for years and they work great. however anymore its not worth it to rebuild the things. takes to much time to do it correctly. at 75 to 100 per hour its cheaper to isolate it to a bad starter and replace it in a lot of cases.
    no tech questions by PM, they wont get answered.
    you have to be trusted by the people that you lie to .

Petty Officer 2nd Class

unless you have a large collection of bad starter, and the ability to rebuild them, I would just replace the starter, and not bother with testing them that in depth .

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very funny gents! Paul, excellent link. Thanks for the pointer. Imstillatwork, one thing I've learned about starters and alternators from cars, boats, just about anything, is to check the brushes before replacing the unit. On more than one occasion I've saved myself at least $200 by replacing a $9 set of brushes. Most service places will try to sell you a whole starter when they know a simple brush replacement is all that's needed.Also, I did do a rebuild on my Johnson V4 starter. It took 5 minutes to take it apart. About another 30 minutes had it cleaned, the continuity and brush checks shown in the factory manual done, brushes replaced, the bearings lubed and the starter put back together. Ignore the torque specs for starters! On a used starter, the chances are very good that you will crack the base if you try to torque to the values in the manual. From painful experience, I've found this can happen on a lot of other components, too.

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry guys, I've never seen a growler of any size other than 64-oz. That's why I always take two! Yeah, I know it's only a gallon, but when it's 7.5% India Pale Ale, that's usually just about right. . .

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IPA...Excellent choice!

Chief Petty Officer

Gotta have my hops!!!