Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Default Evinrude ignition/starting problem

Well...Chalk up another "simple" task gone wrong. Here's the story:I have a 96' Evinrude Intruder 150. My tilt switch on my throttle went bad, so I replaced it by bypassing the switch & running a push-button switch instead. Trim works fine, but now I can't get my motor to turn over. When I turn the key, no clicking... no nothing. I charged the battery, checked the fuses, and all is well in those departments. I'm thinking that I either:1. Blew a fuse that I can't find (I've checked both the boat console & in the engine compartment)2. Knocked off the calibration on my controls for the neutral-only start mechanism.Can anybody help before I decide to apply a stick of dynamite to the whole operation?

Default Re: Evinrude ignition/starting problem

Welcome Fisher-man!!!!Time for a beverage and a break for a while!!!!First- Check that battery terminals and engine connections are very clean and tight.Second- The main fuse is in a holder near the main harness barrel-type connector(big red or black plug)on the port side behind the starter.Third- Is the safety lanyard switch positively made?Fourth - Wiggle the control arm to see if the neutral switch is a bit off?Fifth - Jump the solenoid to rule out solenoid and starter?Since I assume you had the control box apart to do the new trim switch, my guess is, as you said, the neutral switch is not being "made" or a wire from the ignition switch was knocked loose.Give them all a look and let us know what you find.Save the dynamite for July 4, 2006 !!!!Good luck
    ACTA NON VERBA​

Angus 63,Thanks for your quick response! Are there any other engine fuses I should check before I get into the control unit? (I checked the main 20 A one, but a friend of mine said that there's more than one on my motor...)I'll put away the dynamite for now, but I'll make no guarantees...

Not that I am aware of......
    ACTA NON VERBA​

Angus,I fixed the problem. One of the connections to the neutral switch had come undone when I moved the box around to replace the trim switch. Plugged it back up, and... vrroommm! Thanks for your help!--Fisher-Man

Outstanding!!!!!!Catchem up........
    ACTA NON VERBA​