Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Default Evinrude Dies at low speed, coughs and sneezes

Engine starts and runs OK out of water. In water engine splutters, coughs and sneezes, finally dying.Engine will accelerate to flat out if kicked all to full throttle with no hesitation. At lower speeds like no on the plane engine coughs and splutters. The engine also kicks, it is hard to explain, but it is like we hit somthing in the water, but you can tell it is somthing the engine is doing. Like a single backfirs stopping the engine for a second ?Is there an easier way to set the timing other than what the manual says? I am not sure if the idle air bleed and intermediate air bleed orifices are in the correct holes. Should the larger orifice be in the top or bottome hole. Manual does not cover.Engine is Evinrude E120TLCDNew Power pack and coils made no difference.New plugsCarbs were rebuilt and cleaned etc, no differenceExcellent compression and leakdown.I have checked the reeds and they are perfect.Thanks for your help in anticipation.Binkoba

Captain

Default Re: Evinrude Dies at low speed, coughs and sneezes

Rick S Sounds like you may have more than one problem. The sneeze is most likly a lean condition, try adjusting the low speed jet. If that dosen't fix it clean the carb/s. The "Kick" may be the clutch dog slipping.Richard

Supreme Mariner
    Port Charlotte FL but never the same since hurricane Charlie

The slow speed jets are fixed jets. Have the thermostats been removed? Are you running with the air box on or off? What brand and style plugs? What fuel? Fresh?Good luck!

Plugs are, Champion QL78YC,Thermostats are in place I believe, engine gets nice and hot to the touch when running.Air box on or off makes no difference.Fuel is Regular, always fresh, like a week or two old. I have a filter / water seperator on it (internal tank) no water ever shows in the seperator.Is the clutch dog problem Ok to run with for a while? Will it damage anything?It has always seemed like a carb problem to me, the carbs have new kits etc. While running small droplets of water spit out of the idle air bleed and intermediate air bleed orifices I mean very small, but looks weird to me.Which holes should the idle air bleed and intermediate air bleed orifices be in. ThanksBink

Supreme Mariner
    Port Charlotte FL but never the same since hurricane Charlie

The thermostats must be in place for the stock jetting to work properly. Check that first. The air box off at idle is OK but must be on when running. The motor will lean out with it off. Be careful. Check the O rings between the plastic carb body and the metal throttle body. You say you changed the power pack. Check the wire connector plug to make sure all the wire colors are connected correctly. White to white, blue to blue etc. Also make sure you dont have 2 spark plug wires crossed.Good luck!