Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Default Evinrude 225 looper. Is this normal?

I am looking at this 1992 evinrude 225 hp outboard. The engine idles fine. No excessive smoke or anything abnormal. Compression on all 6 cylinder varies between 88 psi and 93 psi. Is this normal?I also did this test on the same outboard and was not sure if the following observation was normal.After starting the outboard for a few minutes, I turned the engine off, removed the cowling, and took the engine out of gear. With my bare hands behinds some work gloves, I turned the flywheel and was able to spin the engine over (In the clockwise or counter clockwise direction) with some effort. I was surprise to be able to accomplish this with out much resistant. I am not Mr. Olympia and was not on any sort of HGH or Steroids when I did this. Is there something wrong with this outboard? Is it normal to be able to turn over the engine with such little effort by griping the flywheel and turning it.

Supreme Mariner
    Port Charlotte FL but never the same since hurricane Charlie

Default Re: Evinrude 225 looper. Is this normal?

Welcome!!Compression is good, everythings normal. Do NOT turn the flywheel counterclockwise. It could possibly flip the water pump impeller blades backwards. Not likely but possible.Also don't try to shift it into gear without the motor running or turning the prop. Shifting out of gear without it running is OK.