Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Cadet

Cool 96 Johnson - 50hp, Idle Adjustment

I have a 96 Johnson 50. It is running fine, but it idles (in neutral, in the water) at 1100 rpm. I believe the spec is around 825 and I would like to adjust the idle to that. I see no easy way to do it. Tech support at Bombardier refers me to "sync and linc" instructions in the service mannual, which I don't have. I'll spend the $80+ if I need to get it, but I'm hoping for the help I need for that here.

Also, and possibly related (?), the check engine light on the tachometer gauge display recently came on. The engine is mixing and burning oil fine, pumping water and cooling fine, and I can find no other reason for the warning light, except possibly high idle. Obviously, the gage could be faulty.

We are using the boat as usual, but I would like to fix the idle, if that doesn't extinguish the light, I'll replace the gage. Any help greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Honorary Moderator Emeritus tashasdaddy's Avatar

Default Re: 96 Johnson - 50hp, Idle Adjustment

your idle needs to be set in the water, and with the motor in gear, not neutral. should be 650-750 in gear. in the picture, marked in red is the idle speed screw, counter clockwise slows the idle. it should also have rubber tip on it, and a lock nut to keep it from vibrating.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

Cadet

Default Re: 96 Johnson - 50hp, Idle Adjustment

Thank you...it looks simple on your picture. I did'nt see it as that simple last time I looked at it. We keep the boat in Northern WI, about 250 mi from here so I'll look again in two weeks. So I don't need to worry about linkage adjustments?

Jeff