Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Cadet

Default 83 70hp johnson no spark

I have a 1983 70 hp Johnson that lost spark to all 3 cylinders while i was at full throttle.Checked for spark and there was none at all.Does a power pack supply power to the individule cylinder coils?Im sure my problem is electrical.Any help would be great.Thanx.

Admiral

Default Re: 83 70hp johnson no spark

First confirm that your problem is not in the ignition switch or safety lanyard button.I wound then perform a voltage test of the stator as per manual instructions and make sure its putting out.May be a powerpack failure , but you'll want to confirm before just buying another one.Those things are pricey.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Powerpack may be pricey but not near as pricey as the stator. I just had to replace the powerpack, stator, and rectifier on my 70 Evenrude.Ob has good advice. Might want to check your rectifier also. Mine was shorted to ground and may have caused the other problems?? If you have never worked on an outboard before, then grab a manual and get started. There is a lot of help on this site.

Seaman

This help I got from Joe Reeves on my June 26th postIf no spark or a weak spark, disconnect the large RED electrical connector at the engine. Crank the engine by energizing the solenoid with a jumper (Bat term to small 3/18" nut term). If you now have spark, replace the ignition switch.Also Make sure all the connections are tight and clean at the power pack. After I checked all the connections I had spark on 2 cyl.I did have to replace the power pack on my motor1982 70 hp johnson.

Cadet

thanx for the help gents I'll try those ideas.