Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Cadet

Default 2 cycle oil vs 30 weight

Please help I'm new to the older model outboards. I have always used a 4 stroke but I just received from my wife grandfathers estate a 1954 QD-15 10 hp Johnson. I was able to tune it up and get it running, however I am wanting to know what fuel mix ratio should be used and if I should stay with the 2 cycle or use the 30 weight? Both are shown to be acceptable on the engine cover decal. What is best? and what mix ratio?

Thank You

nomyar

Captain

Default Re: 2 cycle oil vs 30 weight

According to http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/About....il.Fuel.htm#Q1 the correct mixture is 20:1

Use a 2 stroke outboard engine oil. (TCW2 or TCW3 spec) It'll smoke more heavily on ordinary SAE 30 and the oils you get today as SAE 30 will be stuffed full of unsuitable additives most probably.

Honorary Moderator Emeritus tashasdaddy's Avatar

agree ^^^^
    FLORIDA GATORS
    TEBOW Country

Please, NO PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems. they will not be answered.
    That is what these forums are for. Post your questions, in the appropriate Forum.

I always found in my 2 stroke motorcycle days that you had to give the tank a shake before each trip to re-mix the fuel with SAE-30
    TCW-3 once mixed will stay mixed.
    Marada 2100 Executive Series, 5 Litre V8 with Mercruiser Alpha 1 outdrive. 2007 K-Z Spree 260 RBH, all = a whole lot of family fun !!!!

The issue with SAE30 is that it is a conventional motor oil. Two stroke oils are designed to "burn" more completely and are made specifically for two-stroke engines. There is also a difference between "two-stroke" oil and "TCW3" branded two stroke oil. TCW3 is for use in "water cooled" two strokes. Conventional two-stroke oil is designed for use in "air cooled" engines. So DO NOT use LawnBoy or other chain saw/weed whip oils in your water cooled outboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertip View Post
    The issue with SAE30 is that it is a conventional motor oil. Two stroke oils are designed to "burn" more completely and are made specifically for two-stroke engines. There is also a difference between "two-stroke" oil and "TCW3" branded two stroke oil. TCW3 is for use in "water cooled" two strokes. Conventional two-stroke oil is designed for use in "air cooled" engines. So DO NOT use LawnBoy or other chain saw/weed whip oils in your water cooled outboard.
    In spite of what is on the BRP site, the ratio is 24:1
    Wayne