Hello Everyone. We have been trying to troubleshoot the following for a few weeks.
The engine starts fine however when put into gear and try to accelerate it dies. Here is a list of everything we have tested. One more thing the engine revs up fine in neutral.
1. rebuilt carbs - replaced needles, floats, gaskets, and blew out the high pressure jets. Everything looked really clean but I know it only takes a small grain of dirt to cause problems. The cars do not have any adjustments very basic. (no mixture screws, etc)
2. replaced fuel pump - check screen for clog. We have a 6 gallon portable tank hooked up to confirm lines from tank to engine are good. When we prime the tank by pumping the ball it stays hard once primed. No signs of any leaks, etc around fuel pump.
3. Checked compression about 105 on all 4 cylinders
4. Checked neutral stop switch. To test we made sure the switch was pressed down which prevented the engine from starting. When we released the switch the engine started fine.
5. The automatic primer is working correctly. If we manually turn it on when the engine is idiling it dies.
6. Checked all hoses - vacuum and fuel.
7. New plugs.
8. replaced lower unit oil (confirmed it was full twice)
We are now thinking the PowerPack might be the problem.
Originally the boat ran fine, then we slowly started loosing acceleration - somedays it ran great others like crap, now as soon as we leave the dock and give it gas in gear she dies.
I appreciate any ideas or suggestions. Hoepfully we can get this figured out soon it is finally nice weater here in CT.