I changed the oil in the lower unit. 8 oz came out, and I put 8 back in. Yesterday I test ran it and water came out of places I don't remember seeing it before. There are two nickel size holes half way up the front (forward side) of the leg, from the front top of the leg, and from the exhaust relief. At the same time water discharge from the tell-tale became intermittent. I shut it off immediately. Then I thought that I might have blown a seal so I checked the gear case oil and found that with patience I could pump in quite a bit more oil.
So the questions are what is the gear case oil capacity, and would running it briefly with only 8 oz cause something to burn up? And what do the symptoms with the water flow indicate?
After thinking about it for a while I sumise that water is coming from the holes above the rubber mount, the exhaust relief, and the top of the leg because the water pump has quit and the mid section is filling up. How big a job is it to change the impeller? Or is it likely to be more than that?
I dropped the lower unit this morning. Yikes. Those bolts most likely had never been pulled before. Once I got them out I hosed the holes down with WD-40 and ran a 5/16-18 tap through them. The amount of crud/corrosion that came out was amazing. I was a little surprised to find that the pump impeller appeared to be fine. Rubber vanes, yet. Getting the discharge tube to slip back into place made me wish for thinner fingers, but at length it did go back it (I think). I don't know why the unit would only drop about 6 inches. The drivfe shaft was disengaged, as was the water tube. My guess is that the shifter jam nut needed to be completely removed as opposed to being merely disconnected.
In any event it was a learning experience, and it is hard to fault those.