Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Cadet

Question 1977 Johnson 55 hp Won't start at all

Hello, I hope you can direct me in the right direction with a problem I had yesterday on my Johnson 1977 55 hp Outboard. This is a manual start outboard commercial application outboard also. I recently bought this from a dealer and it's run great the last 8 times I've had it out. Yestersay while trolling for about 45 minutes, it just completely shut down like you turned off the key. It isn't a key start as it has a rope start only. It showed no spark in either plug also when I checked it out once back at the ramp. It was running a little rought about 10-15 minutes before it shut down , but I thought it was due to the plugs maybe getting a little rich after idling so much trolling. I want to say the power pack went out, but I don't know how to verify this. Any help on what you think went bad is appreciated. There doesn't seem to be a lot of electrical items under the cowling as it seems to be a real simple design since it's a rope start no power trim and tilt. Txs again Glynn

Default Re: 1977 Johnson 55 hp Won't start at all

Remove the spark plugs.

There should be some kind of shut off setup.... a stop button, kill switch lanyard, something. There will be a wire (usually a black/yellow wire) leading from the powerpack to that device... disconnect that wire. If you now have spark, that device is faulty. If still no spark, the problem is usually a faulty powerpack.

If the new powerpack doesn't cure the problem, it's always a good idea to have a spare (and the tools to change it) on board.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.htm..._sop=12&_rdc=1

Cadet

Smile Re: 1977 Johnson 55 hp Won't start at all

Thank you for the feedback. I bought a used PP off EBay today that is guaranteed by the dealer to be good. I'll slap it on and see what happens. I'm pretty sure it's the PP and not the stator, but with my luck it will end up being the stator! Txs again and I'll let you know what happens when I get the new part installed. Txs again Have a good day!