I bought this motor from a neighbor knowing it would not run without squeezing the primer bulb. Thought it would be a simple fix. Then it wouldn't even start - neighbor moved to Florida. Got it to start on 1st pull, runs like a top at speed……misses, sputters, coughs, and dies at trolling speeds. No amount of Low Speed Adjusting will cure it.
What I've done so far:
1. Rebuilt fuel pump (OEM overhaul kit)
2. Rebuilt carb (OEM overhaul kit)
3. New plugs
4. New gas tank & all hoses
5. All tests with cover OFF (eliminating exhaust) in barrel and on boat
6. Coils, condensers, and points appear new
7. Set points per spec. 0.020. Lightly sanded
8. Runs on either cylinder with only slight drop in RPMs
9. Low speed orifices (3 in carb throat) open
10. Low speed adjust set per spec (3/4 turn open) and adjusted while running thru range.
Runs at speed perfectly. Starts on 1st pull. Hesitation when going from idle to full throttle. Misses once every 3 seconds at idle like clockwork.
Two things on the carb give me pause.
1. There is a pin sticking out of a hole in the body of the carb above the low speed adjust screw behind the smaller Core Plug. (See attached photo) Doesn't look right.
2. I could not remove the Calibration pocket Filler Plug (Item 47) located behind the larger Core Plug.
This one really has me stumped? Any suggestions?
Grandpa Bill in Grand Rapids, Michigan