Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.
    Cadet

Default 1968 johnson 55hp won't start

1968 johnson 55hp won't start. All I hear is a clicking in the bottom of motor.
    I turn the key and nothing happens. keep in mind this is my first boat and I'm illiterate when it comes to boat motors.

Default Re: 1968 johnson 55hp won't start

Hello, Joe

Welcome to iboats.

Take the battery cables off at both ends. Clean them thoroughly and reattach.

Let us know what happens.

Chief Petty Officer Theoutdoorsman's Avatar

I second the "welcome to Iboats".....
    Man, have you ever come to the right place for help!!! If JB can't get you up and running, you probably don't have a motor..... ;-)

Cadet

Thanks for the welcome fellas. The thing is that I'm using a car battery and I'm just holding the cables to the terminals. It could be that its not getting a good connection. I don't know I might have hooked the ignition switch up wrong. When the key is in the run position and I touched the cables to the battery is when I hurd the click in the lower region of the motor, but when I turned it to start nothing happens. I also took a jumper wire from the positive terminal and touched the solinoid and the starter and nothing happened, any ideas?

Is it an electric shift?

Cadet

yes electric shift. Also I just hooked a test light to the solinoid, there is power going in, just none coming out to the starter. Also I hooked a jumper wire to the starter and it engaged and turned the motor a half a turn and the stopped and hummed like it wasn't getting enough power. I was using a 16 gauge wire.

#1 make sure that it is in neutral, and that it knows it's in neutral. there are a lot of small wires in that wire harness, and being 40+ years old it could very easily have a break/cut/worn spot that could affecting it. When you said it makes a thud in the lower unit when you connect it to a battery, it makes me think that it may be in gear.....just a thought. My first outboard was a 1969 Evinrude 55 hp electric shift, and one of the first things I did was a lot of wiring and re-wiring...but it was worth it when I knew it would do what I wanted it to, when I wanted it to.