Please note this thread has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new thread.

Default Short shaft availability....or long shaft to short shaft conversion

I repowered a 1950s Orlando Clipper tinny from a 1968 55 HP Johnson to a 40HP Nissan.

At the time that I bought the motor it was the most HP in a short shaft that I could find.
    I hadn't found this website yet so all the research and options were what I found myself. I was hoping for a 50HP SS but 40HP was as big as I could find.

Although it is too late and i don't need to change anything now, I have wondered, and might as well ask....

Would it have been possible and/or feasible to convert from a 50 HP log shaft to a short shaft?

Default Re: Short shaft availability....or long shaft to short shaft conversion

The 40 and 50 are the same engine so..........
    Elvin
    My answers are like Zen...It may not be the answer you want, but it is generally the answer you need.

The 3 Rules:

1) Look in your service manual first...Then ask me if it is correct.
    2) Understand that your desire to repair your engine does not mean that you have the ability to do so.
    3) If you are confused, take your engine into a dealer..Then let them be confused...At least, in theory, they sent someone to outboard 101.

Quote Originally Posted by TOHATSU GURU View Post
    The 40 and 50 are the same engine so..........
    Arrrrrrrrrrggghhhh....I think....

So the extra length is probably an insert piece that could have been removed if I had bought the 50HP long shaft and the drive shaft would have had to be replaced?
    It likely would have been more $$ than I would have wanted to spend at the time.

What is the actual difference between the 40and 50 that give it the extra 10 HP?

"So the extra length is probably an insert piece that could have been removed if I had bought the 50HP long shaft"

No, the intermediate motor leg would have to be changed out as well as the water tube, shift rod and drive shaft. Around $700.00 in parts.

Depends on which series of 40/50 you have. All have the same leg system, but, some have different carbs and exhaust pipes, some have different blocks and cranks and some have different ECUs.
    Elvin
    My answers are like Zen...It may not be the answer you want, but it is generally the answer you need.

The 3 Rules:

2) Understand that your desire to repair your engine does not mean that you have the ability to do so.
    3) If you are confused, take your engine into a dealer..Then let them be confused...At least, in theory, they sent someone to outboard 101.

It's a 2005 Nissan 40 HP 2-stroke

Years don't mean anything and aren't used. It's all about model and serial number.
    Elvin

The 3 Rules:

It's an NSD-40.

If you have a TLDI then the ECM would have to be changed.
    Elvin

The 3 Rules:

Petty Officer 1st Class psteurer's Avatar

Hmm, can you mount the motor 5 inches higher on your transom? That is a quick fix to convert a long shaft to a short shaft. I have seen this done but do not know the effect on performance. Just thinking about it, I can not see any effect other than appearance.

If you have a TLDI then the ECM would have to be changed.
    Not a TLDI, just the garden variety 40 HP....

Quote Originally Posted by psteurer View Post
    Hmm, can you mount the motor 5 inches higher on your transom? That is a quick fix to convert a long shaft to a short shaft. I have seen this done but do not know the effect on performance. Just thinking about it, I can not see any effect other than appearance.
    It would raise COG too much.
    The 40 HP is a perfectly good match for the boat, and the Nissan is a sweet motor.
    I was just curious whether i missed any options, and if by some miraccle and alignment of stars and moon I could buy parts to upgrade it to 50 HP for a few hundred $$$ I would probably consider it.

Then you don't have a NSD40...So, what do you have?
    Elvin

The 3 Rules:

Sounds like you have the NSD40, which is a TLDI. To upgrade to a 50, you would change the ECM.
    Paul
    Certified TLDI Technician
    Buffalo NY USA

OK, NOT NSD40, it's NS40D

A 40 D could be either a block, crank, carbs and pipe change or just a carbs and pipe change. Depends on the serial number.
    Elvin

The 3 Rules:

A 40 D could be either a block, crank, carbs and pipe change or just a carbs and pipe change. Depends on the serial number.
    Is this the serial number or just full model # => NS40D2EPT01

That's a model number...It also means you need three new carbs and an exhaust pipe to turn it into a 50 if your serial number is 47846 or higher.
    Elvin

The 3 Rules: