considering buying Chrysler outboard

PROCRAFT 1

Recruit
could anybody please give me some input on buying a '75 140 Chrysler outboard ? Reliable motors. I'm looking to put it on my bass boat. I've got a Merc. '95 on it, trying to gain some speed , Is this motor going to help the cause.? Thanks for any and all info. MUST FISH

Walker

Captain
Re: considering buying Chrysler outboard

Just my personal opinion. That motor is junk and parts are ard, if not impossible, to find.

fast525

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I personaly like the chryslers from the 70's ,the bigger ones anyway . I've got three 70's and 1 105 and they all run like champs and quite dependable . As far as parts there's a lot of people on the net that can hook you up with just about anything you need . Go to www.geocities.com/thechryslercrew and you'll find out more on them .

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

In my opinion the Chrysler and Merc are not in the same galaxy.The Chrysler has a well earned reputation for poor performance and reliability.<br /> Add to that the parts supply problem. It<br />doesnt seem like a good investment to me.There are parts out there but youll be at their mercy.<br /> NAPA auto parts has 87 pages of E/J parts,71<br />pages of Merc/Mariner parts and 12 pages of <br />Chrysler/Force parts.And the E/J parts go back to the 1950s.

D

DJ

Procraft1,<br /><br />I wouldn't.<br /><br />Much has already been said here about the Chryslers.<br /><br />Some other things to consider.<br /><br />The lower units on these engines were smallish. Finding performance props. for them is next to impossible.<br /><br />The 140 was never really 140. I do not think it would outrun your 95.

Waterbugtoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

One problem with NAPA though....the counter guys dont know their a s s from a hole in the ground, and they are about a million pages short of parts listings. <br /><br />You would think NAPA could do better than that seeing how they are a genuine marine dealership for all brands boating with trained marine parts and service personel and all. ;) Gimmie a break!

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Just go to your friendly NAPA dealer and ask him to get you a NAPA Marine Products parts book. They're free.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Waterbugtoo, you are absolutely right some branches dont have a clue.Some arent even aware<br />that there is a marine products catalog.<br /> The problem is some branches are franchises<br /> and only as good as the staff.I phoned a central New York branch Asked for a Marine Products catalog and picked it up in 3 days. <br /> We are surrounded by lakes and rivers maybe<br />that makes a difference.

kenoshabrew

Recruit

I've had one for 5 years now and abused the heck out of it. The only time it needed work was when I hit the lower united doing 30 mph James Bond style. The other users opinion about them being junk is his opinion. Easy to work on, and I have no NO trouble finding parts at all.

--Steve

could anybody please give me some input on buying a '75 140 Chrysler outboard ? Reliable motors. I'm looking to put it on my bass boat. I've got a Merc. '95 on it, trying to gain some speed , Is this motor going to help the cause.? Thanks for any and all info. MUST FISH

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Now thats an old Thread.I didn't remember it till I saw my post.

RRitt

Captain

my fishing buddy has a grady white with yamaha outboards. It's a very nice boat that always draws compliments. I have a '89 bayliner trophy 21 CC with twin force (chrysler force NOT mercury force). It is a terrible boat that looks dated and draws no accolades. My boat is simple and plain. His is complicated and fancy. I fix my boat at home and he sends his to the marina.

Around here there are only two types of boats. Those that run aground and those that don't go out. We always take my boat because his costs too much to maintain and repair.

If it was me I would buy two Chryslers for the half the price of one Merc. But it really all depends what you're after. If you want the marina to fix it then chrysler force is the wrong engine to buy. If you are a competent mechanic willing to do your own work then chrysler is a very good choice.

javsam

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with rritt,their simple motors to work on and maintain.But if your the type that needs someone else to repair,then keep looking.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

I've had one for 5 years now and abused the heck out of it. The only time it needed work was when I hit the lower united doing 30 mph James Bond style. The other users opinion about them being junk is his opinion. Easy to work on, and I have no NO trouble finding parts at all.

--Steve

Seems you are new here..did you find this post in a search? Its 5 years old...if a search..do NOT reply...

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

Seems you are new here..did you find this post in a search? Its 5 years old...if a search..do NOT reply...

I doubt that it really matters in life. Not EVERYONE was born internet savvy, and there's bound to be a mistake or two made... humans, remember?

I don't think it's worth leaving a sour taste in someone's mouth.