9.6 Sea king

Huskies213

Cadet
i just bought a 9.6 sea king from 1974. I started it several times and ran it on the previous owners gas can when i picked it up, but i had to buy my own gas tank/hoses. I have the fittings, and the bulb with the hose but i cant get the bulb to "harden" up when i pump it, thus the motor wont start. Could it be because i have a 6 gallon tank, with only 3 gallons of gas in it, or that the tank just cant build up the pressure to pump the gas? would it be worth it to try on a small tank i.e. 3 gallon? maybe? thank you.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: 9.6 Sea king

When you pump, does fuel come out anywhere on the outboard? If not, you may simply have a defective fuel tank or primer. Make sure the bulb is installed the right way around. ;) <br />Also, make sure the vent is open when you're running the outboard.<br /><br />It doesn't have anything to do with the size of the tank. I have a 6 gallon tank for my little 4hp. I think I could go to Europe on a single fill-up. :D

Huskies213

Cadet

Originally posted by Paul Moir:<br /> When you pump, does fuel come out anywhere on the outboard? If not, you may simply have a defective fuel tank or primer. Make sure the bulb is installed the right way around. ;) <br />Also, make sure the vent is open when you're running the outboard.<br /><br />It doesn't have anything to do with the size of the tank. I have a 6 gallon tank for my little 4hp. I think I could go to Europe on a single fill-up. :D

Huskies213

Cadet

the bulb and hose and tank are all brand new, including the fittings, there is a slight air leak i found after just trying it again squirting gas out where the hose meets the bulb, so should i just purchase a new bulb and hose and see how that works ?

Huskies213

Cadet

the bulb and hose and tank are all brand new, including the fittings, there is a slight air leak i found after just trying it again squirting gas out where the hose meets the bulb, so should i just purchase a new bulb and hose and see how that works ?

Paul Moir

Admiral

If your new hose is leaking, return it and get a new one. They should not leak at all, even slightly. The level of quality on hoses and primers found at large retailers is abysmally low, and failed new ones are common. A few years ago there was a probem where one major manufacturer let out (apparently thousands) of bulbs with check-valves installed incorrectly so they would not pump up at all. Perhaps you have one.<br /><br />Just as an FYI, the very best I've encountered are the Johnson/Evinrude bulb and lines.

Huskies213

Cadet

thanks for your help paul, the problem was a bad bulb.. lots of frustration over something so stupid huh? thanks again ! andiamo pesce! ( lets go fishing!)

Paul Moir

Admiral

Ah, better than a lot of frustration over something expensive. :) <br /><br />Enjoy!