champion motors

bubbakat

Captain
I have had a champion outboard gave to me and it looks good and has good compression. Who makes these motors? There are no numbers on it what so ever. It looks a lot like the 1951 5/hp johnson.<br />No forward or reverse you turn the whole motor around to reverse it. For a pull rope it has a steel cable. I'll take a picture tomorrow and see if anyone every saw one like it.<br /> Thanks guys.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: champion motors

Champion was in business through the late 30's into the 50's. Good outboards. They used a number and letter system to code their model numbers. Look for a 1J or 2K, something like that down the leg under the cylinders. Is is a one banger or two. Champion was a solid racing competitor with Merc during those years. Many champions still out there, including my 49 1cyl. 4.9 hp 1J. Runs like a champ...no pun intended.<br />Post your numbers and I'll try to ID it for you.

bubbakat

Captain

Well I got to looking and found some numbers.<br /><br />2J184960<br /> <br />This thing has a R7 champion spark plug and I have never saw one like it.<br />Are they still gettable on the market or is there a swap over.<br />I need all the info I can get on her because she looks in good shape so I might just restore it.<br />BTW she is a one cylinder<br />and thanks for the reply<br /> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/coofficer/championoutboard008.jpg <br /> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/coofficer/championoutboard005.jpg

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Hey bubbakat,<br />You have a 46-47 4 hp single cylinder...the deluxe model. The deluxe has the recoil mechanism. My 1J just has a rope sheave on top of the flywheel. It needs a champion D16 plug gapped at .030, point gap is .018 and it runs on a mixture of 3/4 pint of TCW-3 oil per gallon of gas. That's what the owners manuals recommend. You can find an owners manual for a 1J at www.acmeoutboards.com. That's where I got mine. It will fit your motor, except for the recoil mechanism. I've heard from others that that recoil mech is a bear to get apart, so go slowly when it comes time to replace the rope/cable. Someone may have been there before you...could explain why it has cable on the mech instead of rope. I got my 1J at an estate sale. Its mech restored, just waiting for spring when it will get new paint and decals. Mine cranks over on the 2nd or 3rd pull every time. Good luck.

bubbakat

Captain

Thanks Tim Mac I ordered me a manuel and gonna see where she goes from there.<br />I was looking at the recoil starter on that thing and yes I would say she would be a bugger to get at. <br />I think I will restore her if nothing else just to set in the shop for a conversation piece.<br />Thanks for the link and the info. Not a bad little deal for a gimmie.

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

Finally a posting about Champion. <br />I picked up a 7.5HP Champion at an auction for $5 (could not bear to see it passed over) has compression and turns over just not enought time to figure out what if anything is wrong, but hopefully this winter.<br /><br />Here are a couple web sites I have found for Champions.<br /><br /> web page <br /><br /> web page

bubbakat

Captain

Thanks kevin for the links. I have only checked mine far enough to know it has spark and good compression. Like you say winter is on its way.

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class

Found one more that I thought was lost. Give the history of the Champion outboards. 4 pages make sure to click the "next" at the bottom of the page.<br /><br /> Champion History