Need Some Help On 5hp Sea King Clinton

T2000

Cadet
Got a 5 Hp clinton, I got Spark , I got Good Compression, Got fuel connector hooked up w/ primer ball, problem is i cannot get it started, I've pulled the cord for 2 days now. I got the fuel Ratio at 50:1 now, i don't know the ratio. Can anyone give me some good advice on this, like to get it running by the weekend,<br /><br />what year is this one<br /><br />model-- k500 3106a<br />serial didn't write it down<br />type 60 52205 r<br />Thanks ahead of time.....

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: Need Some Help On 5hp Sea King Clinton

oil ratio is 24:1 and use chainsaw oil, not outboard oil, since its air cooled and not water cooled....<br />did you check compression with a guage, what was it... you could have a bad carb or dirty carb <br /><br />squirt some pre mixed fuel through the plug hole and then try it, iof all is good it should fire right up.<br /><br />i have 2 3.5 clintons 1970 vintage, i dont know about the 5hp......

cotterman

Chief Petty Officer

Clinton model K500 is a 1972

sea king 5

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by T2000:<br /> Got a 5 Hp clinton, I got Spark , I got Good Compression, Got fuel connector hooked up w/ primer ball, problem is i cannot get it started, I've pulled the cord for 2 days now. I got the fuel Ratio at 50:1 now, i don't know the ratio. Can anyone give me some good advice on this, like to get it running by the weekend,<br /><br />what year is this one<br /><br />model-- k500 3106a<br />serial didn't write it down<br />type 60 52205 r<br />Thanks ahead of time.....

sea king 5

Seaman Apprentice

The sea king 5 that I have has a bad airflow brob,in order to get it to start I have to choke it,I put my thumb over the air intake,if you have dirt or water in the carb.choking in this fashion may force that little OBS out of the passage way and allow the gas to get threw,star this way!! 1,take out plug(s)leave them out. 2,empty all gas out of the tank (take a clean shop rag,tie a long string to it and shove the rag into the low end of the tank and leave it)This will whik out any water in the tank 3,pull cord to clear cylinders of gas.4,put on your new inline fuel filter.5,empty the carb bowl and check for JUNK (rust and water)if you have a corck float,be carefull don't brake it,and put it in a bucket of gas so it doesn't dry,clean your float bowl put a little gas in the bowl and pull up on the pin in the middle,the gas should stop running out,let go of the pin and the gas should run out.6, pull cord a couple of times more 4 or 5 times more. 7,put bowl back together. 8, put new spark plugs in.9, pull out the rag and tilt the tank so that you can see inside the tank to the low side,at this point there should be nothing liquid in the tank,put liquid in the tank (pref GAS). 10, Prime. 11, pull cord, 12,adjust mixture. 13,go fishing. If you didn't get to 12,you can try choking with your thumb,if that helps,then you and I are in the same boat, find a place with your thumb on the air intake where it will run and spray carb cleaner all over the carb(not in the air intake),if the engine dies (or tries to) you have more air than you have gas,<br />If what you say about the engine is all true,and you fallow all of the above,and you don't need PARTS,you may be fishing this weekend.But if you have a airflow prob like me and you find a place to get carb parts,let me know! GOOD Luck

T2000

Cadet

appreciate it, by like my othe3r post says, i don't think fuel is getting to engine, i can leave hose of engine port and crank and no fuel is going to it. if i take plug out and spray ether in hole and put plug back in it will kick on that for a sec. i think carb is bad, i pulled it off and took it apart and cleaned it but so far no luck. its ok i'll take my trolling motor this weekend, it'll work, seems trolling motor has more power then the 5hp engines LOL.<br /><br />thanks

sea king 5

Seaman Apprentice

Take out main metering rod and spray carb cleaner in if it dosen't have any diaphrames<br />rubber safe brake cleaner if it does,you should see the cleaner pray into the carb, does the carb have a feul shut off in the front of the carb? In my carb both of these places had some stupid leather packin in there braking down and pluging up my carb

T2000

Cadet

it has a screw on bottom, one on the side, one on top for throttle adjustment. is the jet in the center where the bowl screw up at? i took aparyt i guess it is the fuel pump that screws on to carb and cleaced it but so far nothing. <br /><br />don't wanna spend to much on it only paid 31.00 for it and it was running before i bought it.

sea king 5

Seaman Apprentice

One other thing,if you have the feul line off,and the lid to the gas tank open (off) try blowing threw the line into the tank and see if air gets to the tank

T2000

Cadet

ya know, i can blow thru the fuel in hose on the pump/block but air comes out thru carb, and nothing will come out of the outlet going to engine.

sea king 5

Seaman Apprentice

It sounds a little like mine,the main jet is your<br />lean /rich screw aimed at your belly if your in front of it,Take that all of the way out and spray cleaner in there,make sure that you get the nozle in there tight enough to have some pressure,if you see the cleaner spray up into the air intake you have cleaned that port,DO'nt have your face to close to the carb when you do this.

T2000

Cadet

if im looking at motor the screw is on left side, the other one is on bottom of the bowl screw in to bowl bolt/nut.

sea king 5

Seaman Apprentice

the hex head on the bottom of the bowl on mine is just a drain cap or access to the needle seat,<br />now if I'm in the boat and the engine is sittng like it would if I was useing it in the water,that would be on the left about 7 oClock,<br />the air mix screw is up about 1 oClock next to the throttle adj,all that does is allow you to set idle @ low speeds, the fuel shut off is @ 6 oClock and above that is the fuel mix screw,if it is somewhere else on your mod,take it out and blow cleaner threw the port

T2000

Cadet

i'll take it back off tomorrow, i'll post tomorrow nite on what happened..

sea king 5

Seaman Apprentice

When? you take out the screw on the bottom of the bowl,does it have a sort of long pointy end to it with holes in it that look pluged or clogged up

T2000

Cadet

its a long pointy screw with a spring and rubber oring, oring is about dead.

sea king 5

Seaman Apprentice

If it does than get you a thin piece of wire I've used a metal trash bag tie(strip the paper)<br />to clean those emullsion tubes befor

sea king 5

Seaman Apprentice

your looking for little holes pointing out the side of the srew,make sure that that passege way is clear put the screw all the way in and back it out 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 turn and try to start