7.5hp sea king outboard(montgomert ward)

Gus Cratcha

Recruit
I have a high compression problem when starting<br />with the pullrope. when I remove the spark plug<br />engine rotates freely.what is the problem?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 7.5hp sea king outboard(montgomert ward)

Moving to Other Outboards

alcan

Commander

Hi Gus<br />How about giving a model number for your motor. Your problem sounds like you may have the wrong spark plugs installed. Sounds like they may be too long, hitting the top of the pistons. If you could give us the info, someone could tell you if you indeed have the correct plugs or not.

Gus Cratcha

Recruit

this motor is a Sea King montgomery ward outboard<br />made by clinton.<br />modle. xtv50575b<br />ser.no. 16174<br />type kt516106a<br />7.5hp motor

Gus Cratcha

Recruit

i checked the spark plug, it's not the problem.<br />there is much resistance,are there valves that are not oppening during the starting cycle that create this accesive back pressure? I am still<br />loking to find a repair manual.

alcan

Commander

Hi Gus<br />I'm sorry I am not familiar with this model. What is happening that make you think this motor has too must compression. This is a common 2-stroke motor, so there would be no valves at all. The only thing I can think of is on some motors the crankcase can fill with fuel. This is a super flooded condition. When the piston is on the down stroke it causes compression in the crankcase. If the crankcase and combustion chamber are already full, nothing moves. This is common with motors that have gravity feed tanks. Ordenarly the float valve in the carb will stop most of this from happening. Also shutting off the petcock. Of corse when you remove the spark plugs this opens up room and the motor will turn.

Gus Cratcha

Recruit

the above is happenning when the fuel tank and <br />lines are dissconected from the engine.Thanks<br />for putting up with me, I appreciate your help.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Try cranking it with the plug unhooked.If it<br />cranks the timing is to far ahead.