Tilt And Trim

Peter J

Cadet
I have a 1989 suzuki 115 hp I had a loose wire on the pump so to get the motor raise up i disconted thr oil line from the tilt trim and the trim cylinder and i also remove the manual release valve.Every now is back coneted the pumps is running fine but i can't get the cylinders primed the most i get from the cylinders being primed is the tilt cylinders are working one at a time and not strong enough to hold the motor in place when going in the down poistion or lifting it .I am using super tech trim and tilt fluid .How do you prime this tilt and trim?

sirlespat

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Tilt And Trim

Hi<br />There is a top up screw on the side of the pump just below the lowest o-ring. The screw has a seal underneath it. Remove this and put some fluid in. My book says use Dexron power steering fluid. Fluid level should be up to the plug with the motor fully lowered. Do not undo the coutersunk screws towards the top of the pump they hold mechanical parts inside. <br />PS please Keep adding to your original post so we can keep up with the whole story. Souns like you're nearly there!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

that system is self bleeding but while doing it the resevoir must be kept full. I personally have had problems with the manual release valve if its ever moved, as in if it gets moved it damages the oring at the tip and will have to be replaced.

Fully_Loaded1

Seaman

What I do is manually pick the motor all the way up (this fully extends all the cylinders to hold the most fluid) then block it in that position. I then top off the resevoir, leave it blocked up and hit the up trim button. You should be able to tell when the fluid is doing he work because your block should now be loose. At this point I run it up and down a few more times and top off. Hope this helps

bcopelan

Cadet

Well, speaking of neophite - I unscrewed the manual release valve (?) to lower the motor base so we could bolt the motor back onto the engine and, well, all of the insides came out. I have a 1983 DT 140. Is there a diagram that shows where the parts go? Can you e-mail me? I would appreciate that very much.