1991 200HP Yamaha No Power -Help!

prolineguy

Cadet
Recently purchased a 2nd boat with 200HP 1991 2-stroke Yamaha. First time on the water-Starts OK and Revs OK-but under load in the water-can't get it to rev past 2200 RPM. Motor will go to exactly 2200 rpm ,but no higher. Ran for 2 hours at that speed while out fishing.<br />I also noticed water coming out between upper and lower unit. Where do I start looking?<br />Thanks in advance for all the help.<br />Frank

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 200HP Yamaha No Power -Help!

I always start with a service manual and a spark and compression test. need a bit more description on the water leak :)

did the motor sit for any length of time when was the last time a tune up was done

prolineguy

Cadet

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> I always start with a service manual and a spark and compression test. need a bit more description on the water leak :)
Had good spark and new plugs installed before going out. However, don't know how long it was from the last tuneup,etc. I will buy a manual and check the compression this weekend. As for the water leak-it doesn't leak with a hose installed out of the water-strong pee stream,but in the water and in gear,it appears water is surging out on the outside underneath where the power head and the lower unit meet-like a seal is bad? Can this be caused by a bad head gasket?<br />thank you for your help

tpgrealty

Cadet

water leak sounds like power head mount gasket. No power and engine has set up for a while might be that carbs need to be rebuilt. Check your fuel bulb also, make sure it does not go soft after engine is started. Then check fuel pumps and filters.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

if its leaking water out by the area where the steering tiller mounts to the powerhead adapter I would suspect a bad gasket or the crossover passage in the block has corroded a hole through it. but also check the pressure control bypass hose.<br /> before I spent a lot of time and cash on that motor I would inspect the shift shaft for rust/corrosion.