Yamaha 150 High RPM shut down

SSkeet

Recruit
It is a 1999 Yamaha 150. I can cruise on a plane with the boat normally just fine for a while if I stay below 3800rpm. If I go about 4500rpm or more with the boat, it will go for a little while (avg 2 mins) and then all of a sudden it will just slowly wind down and die. <br /><br />After it dies I can start it right back up.<br /><br />This has also happened while cruising slow speed (but rarely). I will be going along and 20 minutes could go by and all of a sudden it just slowly winds down and dies. Then I can start it right back up and go about my business for another unpredictable amount of time before it does it again...<br /><br />Any ideas? It has a fuel/water seperator and we have checked/replaced the filter.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha 150 High RPM shut down

does this motor have carbs or EFI?

SSkeet

Recruit

Well it says "Fuel Injected" on the cowling so I am pretty sure it is EFI right? <br /><br />Or is it something like TPI?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

then it should be OX66<br /> when was the last time the vapor seperator and the fuel pumps had their scheduled maint? the VST needs to be cleaned and the filter inspected/replaced annually or at 200 hour intravels, whichever occurs FIRST. the pumps I reccomend replacing at 3 year intravels cause they fail. a quick session with a high pressure fuel gauge will pinpoint it. but the VST maint is part of owning a boat. it is what it is.

skeeterzx180

Cadet

I had similiar issues with my 2000 150vmax HPDI, turns out to be 2 bad fuel pumps