1989 150 V6 Oil Pump Conversion Kit

edgutgesell

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A friend of mine has a 1989 150 hp V6 with an oil pump that has a bad check valve causing smoking when first starting up. The smoking is not caused by the main tank overfilling and overflowing into the carb airbox. This was determined by observing the oil level in the main tank while running.<br /><br />He ordered the "Oil Pump Conversion Kit" from Yamaha. The old oil pump is the type that has the oil hoses going to the engine configured in a circular pattern on top of the pump. The new conversion pump's outlets are three outlets on the left side of the pump and three outlets on the right side of the pump. The Yamaha installation instructions do not fully describe which outlets go to what cylinders. I did a search and found a topic "1989 225 excel yamaha retro oil pump", Author: jk1162, that almost answers my question. The last entry by jk1162 is as follows. There was no followup that indicated that the entry was correct! It read:<br /><br />RAY, I HAVE A 1989 225 WITH A RETROFIT NEW STYLE PUMP WHICH IS LIKE THE ONES BEING USED ON THE 1990 EXCEPT FOR THE DIRECTION IT TURNS. HENCE MY DELEMMA. I HAVE THE MANUAL FOR THE OLD STYLE FLAT TOP CIRCLE PUMP, BUT NOT THE NEW STYLE PUMP. LOOKING AT THE FRONT OF THE NEW STYLE PUMP WITH THE MAIN OIL FEED ON THE LEFT; BACK RIGHT IS IN THE MIDDLE #4, FRONT RIGHT TOP #1, & FRONT RIGHT BOTTOM #2, LEFT FRONT MIDDLE #5, LEFT BACK TOP #3,& LEFT BACK BOTTOM #6. I THINK THIS IS RIGHT BUT I REALLY DO NOT KNOW FOR SURE SINCE THE DIAGRAMS THAT CAME WITH THE RETROFIT PUMP SHOWS IT 2 DIFFERENT WAYS NEITHER OF WHICH IS AS I DESCRIBED. THEY SHOW DIAGRAMS OF THE TUBE ROUTING BUT NO DESIGNATION ON THE PUMP AS TO WHICH CYLINDER THE PORTS REALLY GO TO.

edgutgesell

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1989 150 V6 Oil Pump Conversion Kit

Sorry, I hit the "Add Reply" button instead of "Preview Post" button.<br /><br />There was no reply to that post indicating what the correct pump outlet to cylinder oil line routing should be. The outlets on the pump are not numbered. We have been trying to get the answer from Yamaha via phone and leaving voicemails but get no replies. By Yamaha, I mean the very large Boats.Net in Florida. I have the Yamaha factory manual and the Seloc manual which covers this engine. Also, it is not clear with both of these manuals how the cylinders are numbered physically looking at them from the rear of the engine. Is the cylinder numbering relative to the firing order? Is jk1162 correct? Could someone clarify this for me? As always, your responses are really appreciated!!!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

port bank is ,from the top, 2,4 and 6. stbd bank is, from the top, 1,3 and 5. I dont have the v6 manual at home but I do have a clymers manual here. covers 90-95. you will see what you need on page 644 fig 19 and on page 650 fig 26.

edgutgesell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks rodbolt,<br /><br />I have a Yamaha factory service manual and a Seloc manual which covers from 1984 to 1989. Both of my manuals show the old style oil pump and do not reference the new style conversion pump which is used from 1990 on. My understanding is that the rotation of the new pump is the reverse of the old pump. In the pump conversion kit there is a new drive shaft which replaces the old shaft. I am assuming that this shaft is used to reverse the rotation of the pump. The routing of the oil lines from the new oil pump to the cylinders are not defined in the Yamaha installation instructions for the new conversion pump. I suspect that the correct routing of the oil lines from the new pump to the correct cylinders is vitally important! I don't want to see my buddies engine burn up do to an incorrect sequence oil injection to an incorrect cylinder. Thanks for the page references but I really don't want to buy another manual (Clymers) especially since the engine we are installing the new pump on is a 1989 and my engine is a 1984.

edgutgesell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Anyone Out There???<br /><br />Ed G.

edgutgesell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Finally got a reply back from Yamaha about the routing of the oil lines. All 6 of the outputs from the oil pump pulse at the same time so the routing of the oil lines from the pump to specific cylinders is not critical. What is critical is that the lines be purged of any air. They also suggested running on premix (50:1) for a period of time along with the oil injection to assure that if there is any air inadvertently left in an oil line that there will be sufficient lubrication until the oil pump pushes the air out of the line. The engine will run roughly with premix and injected oil but that beats a blown engine. <br /><br />Another problem has come up with the installation of the retrofit pump is the replacement of the old oil pump drive shaft (two-piece) which is replaced by a new one-piece oil pump drive shaft from the crankshaft drive gear to the oil pump. The problem seems to be that you could remove the old shaft and it would clear the lower cowling because the old shaft is two pieces. The new replacement drive shaft is one piece and it appears that it could not be inserted into the engine unless the lower cowling is out of the way. This would require separating the powerhead from lower leg to remove the lower cowling or drilling a hole in the lower cowling to insert the shaft. We discovered this problem after we had the reply from Yamaha, so now the oil pump replacement is on hold until we find out if the new oil pump driveshaft can be inserted into the powerhead without removing the lower cowling. The Yamaha retrofit oil pump installation instructions do not say anything about removing the lower cowling. Has anyone done this oil pump retrofit?? Can the new driveshaft be inserted without removing the lower cowling?? Although I really like Yamaha outboards, IMHO, Yamaha installation instructions and shop manuals really suck!!!

jk1162

Seaman

Yes their manuals realy do suck. THE SHAFT CAN BE INSERTED WITHOUT REMOVING THE POWER HEAD. THE RETROFIT IS VERY EASY IF YOU KNOW A FEW THINGS IN ADVANCE. I WOULD RECCOMEND YOU GET NEW MANIFOLD CLEAR HOSES ALSO. THE OLD CLEAR LINES GET HARD AND NEAR IMPOSSIBLE TO INSERT THE NEW CHECK VALVES WITHOUT BREAKING THEM. WHEN YOU BUY THEM THEY ARE LONG SO YOU REALLY ONLY NEED TO BUY 4. YOU CAN GET A MEDIUM AND SHORT LENGTH OUT OF ONE HOSE. YOU CAN ALSO SEE THE OIL AND AIR BUBBLES PASSING THROUGH THE LINES MUCH EASIER. DEFINITLY RUN OIL IN YOUR GAS. IT TOOK QUITE A WHILE FOR ALL THE SMALL AIR BUBBLES TO GET OUT OF ALL THE LINES. TO BLEED THEM QUICKER I DISENGAGED THE OIL THROTTEL LINKAGE WHICH PUTS IT IN THE 50:1 MODE; MAKE SURE THE SPRING PUTS THE SHAFT BACK TO THE RIGHT. YOU WILL WANT TO BRING A SPARE SET OF PLUGS OR TWO ALSO. MARK YOUR MAIN AND SUB OIL TANK TO MAKE SURE THE LEVEL DROPS & PUMP IS PUMPING.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

keep on me<br /> I have a blown 93 200 hanging about that I can look at if I think about it sometime<br /> maybe I can copy down how the lines route