Rebuilding Carbs

baylor43

Cadet
1990 Yamaha ProV 150 2 Stroke. If a non mechanically inclined individual had the carb kits could he rebuild the carbs himself without any working knowledge of the engine. Basically, I have no idea what I am doing and I am trying to find out wether it is worth saving the $500 and trying to do it myself. Let me know what you think. 3 Carbs<br /><br />Thanks

alotto

Cadet
Re: Rebuilding Carbs

NO, you will not be sorry that you paid 500 bucks if you are not mech.inclined

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

The hardest part in rebuiding the carbs is probably getting them off the engine and getting them back on with the linkage set up correctly. I would trust my 17 year old daughter (no mechanical experience) to rebuild the carbs with a manual, they are pretty simple. I doubt, however, that she would get them back on the engine right without assistance.<br /><br />Its all relative. If you have money and $500 is a not a lot, and you don't like fooling around with mechanical things, then maybe it isn't a good idea. If money is tight, if you have no mechanical experience but you plan to change that, and you have the time to take it slowly, get a good manual, get some help and go ahead.

easygo0

Seaman

Tom by the time you bought the carb kits.booze and band-aids youd probably be in a couple hundred bucks anyway I would just shop around get a few estimates and make sure its a reputable shop any back yard mech will tell ya they can rebuild a carb the question is can they do it right Good Luck.

CLL2437

Seaman Apprentice

WOW! $500. I just finished the carbs on my 90 this morning in under an hour. I took them off last night and let them soak in cleaner. This morning I rebuilt them and installed them in under 2 hours. I would take them off and try to do it your self. The more you do on your own the easier things get in the future.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

like i tell all my customers, there is nothing you can mess up that I cant fix. especially with copious amounts of cash. the carbs are simple. dont soak the carb bodies overnight. sometimes it turns the plastic parts to mush. some of them are not replacaple. dissasemble the fuel bowl. mark each jet with a number and a location. use a scratch pad. remove the floats and mark them as to where they cam from on paper. trust nothing to memory and the manual wont tell ya. if the linkage was correct when ya statred and you dont play with any adjusting screws it usually falls right back in place. push the fuel lines off the bowl nipples with a pair of needle nose. dont just pull. rep[lace the fuel pumps as well. they go bad. clogged carbs and bad pumps can actually blow a piston so take your time, read your manual. study the carb circuits and try it.<br /> I rarely use a soak tank. usually a dissasemble and cleaning with a good quality spray works as well. do wear safty gloves and glasses. soak or spray both will bring a tear to the eye and mucus to the nose if it hits the peepers.

ianyoung77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would be wary of buying the carby kit unless you find yours are a real mess. They include a lot of expensive bit such as floats and pilot screws. These parts are either good or bad and not worth replacing if they are ok. As a matter of fact you may not need to replace any gaskets depending upon the condition you find them in. The main problem with most carbies is gumming up not seal failure.<br /><br />Be careful with the adjusting screws (pilot and idle). You can't go wrong with the idle but the pilot can cause you problems. It is worth removing and spraying cleaner through, however, it needs to go back to the same spot. This is done by counting the turns in (usually somehitng like 1 7/8) and then pulling out. The main thing to watch is that you screw it in very softly otherwise you could damage your pilot adjusting screw or even worse your top cover.<br /><br />It is an easy job, you can even experiment by removing just the top carby since this has very few attachments. If you find it too hard I would take it to a pro, but $500 is probably a bit steep. I would expect maybe $300 plus parts, then depending upon what they find it could cost $300-#500.

steamin53

Petty Officer 3rd Class

IMHO the greatest benefit (and challenge) is in getting the float levels set right. The greatest savings can be realized in removing and replacing the carbs yourself. I suggest you remove them and take them to a dealer or competent mechanic to have them cleaned or rebuilt as needed. I agree that seldom do they actualy need the carb kit and certainly not all of them at one time. With the mixture screws set to the preset settings most engines run just fine and any tinkering beyond that is just fine tuning. (depends on if you troll a lot or pull skiers I guess). Due to time constraints and a long planned trip to the Gulf this spring I had a local shop with great mechanic rebuild the carbs on my 200 for a cost of $270 kits and all. (even though we didn't need the kits we did it cause we didn't want to wait on parts order if we did.)<br /><br />My $.02 worth.<br /><br />Steve

steamin53

Petty Officer 3rd Class

P.S. Of course the investment in your time and learning to do it now, regardless of the troubles experienced, pays off in the longer run 10 fold cause you'll be able to do it again and again. (used to have to do my Dad's engine bout once a year cause he never ran it and refused to use stabilizer in the fuel...saved a bundle of money doing it myself). Use fuel stabilizer on yours and good filters and you'll minimize the need for it again. I also have a 115 Yammy that has 700 hours and never has needed the carbs touched. (the 200 came to me dirty).<br /><br />Steve

baylor43

Cadet

Lots of good info. I am under some time constraints to get the job done, but maybe next time I will tackle it myself. It does however sound like I am paying a premium. Thanks Again

curjones

Cadet

Hey if you're looking for carb kits try seatemp online. Kits were around $30 a piece. I rebuilt my 3 carbs for the first time and had no problem. Does anyone know if the kits for $100 are for all three carbs? My dealer said it was for one carb kit.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

buy a manual, read about the job. look at your engine and decide for yourself. then when you are ready to begin come back and we can walk you through it.