Guages question

ride88

Cadet
I have a 1989 40 HP yamaha engine, and I am interested in adding a tach and/or speedometer to it. On the engine, coming out of the mid section of the engine is a short tube with a stopper zip tied shut - I have been told this could be for a speedometer cable, as a replacement for pitot kits mounted seperately on the transom. Is it?<br /><br />Also, coming out of my remote control box is a set of 6 wires, 2 sets of 3 wires bundled together with a rubber stopper sealant. I have never known their purpose, but could they be for tach/other guages?<br /><br />Any advice would be appreciated.

jasell

Seaman
Re: Guages question

The hose coming out from your engine is for speed reading.<br /><br />The cables coming out from the control box should be one group of three and one group of four.<br /><br />The group of four is for the gauges. Search the forum for a complete instructions how to do it, I have added a couple...<br /><br />If you have powertrim on your motor I would defintly go for the digital tach with alarms and trim indicator. Otherwise I would just use a analogue tach.<br /><br />For speed I wouldn't bather with the pitot gauges, I have one and is not reliable, sometimes it works and some times it doesn't. When it works is not accurate or just in a certain speed range.<br /><br />I would put my money on a GPS, just a gps would cost about the same. If you add some you get the map-plotter as well.<br /><br />I have a big round hole in my dash board, that's why I still have my yamaha speedo mounted. When/if I rebuild my dash board I will remove it.