Repainting Yamaha

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does anyone have any expeirence or knowledge about repainting Outboard motors with the spray cans? Yamaha in particular? How does it come out? Prep Work? I have a Yamaha 9.9 from 1996 that has taken a beating but still runs great. Anyone know where to get decals other than dealer? Please Help! Thanks in advance!!

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Repainting Yamaha

The newer paints from Yamaha seem to work well. Cleaning and a light sanding work best for prepping. I have had good luck with decals from the local sign shop.

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay. I have decided to let someone do it for me. But who. What kind of shop can paint an outboard for me, I am trying to avoid dealer b/c of high prices, but maybe as a last resort.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Any good body man should be able to paint it. They are usually much better than mechanics at painting.

artherm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am in the process of repainting an Evinrude 25hp hood. I have tried the spray cans with mixed results. I am having an auto body repair shop do it with Dupont Urethane paint with clear coat.I am told that I will have good results. You must swallow the bullet though, this is not cheap....

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

spray cans work fine. i use a small sand blaster with fine sand for the scratches/corrosion, it works great in the corners. make sure to use primer, a see through coat only. then lightly paint several times for the best finish, leaving a good 1/2 hour between coats. for best reults finish with a clear coat.

snookin

Cadet

Hi, I found IBOATs has a Yamaha directory that I'm going to order new decals,As for paint, color right on my 2002, give IBoats the code from your dealers. Mine is 4a for cowling & lower unit is 8a? have to look in my notes. Hope this helps Take Care :)

D

DJ

As mentioned, you can get good results from spary cans. Just do this.<br /><br />1. Sand with appropriate paper, wet preferred.<br /><br />2. Wash the entire area with a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water. <br /><br />3. Prime with a zinc chromate primer.<br /><br />4. Resand.<br /><br />5. Paint. as many coats as desired, sanding between.<br /><br />Note: the vinegar and water etch the aluminum for a good "bite" for the primer paint to adhere.