ENGINE PULLS TO RIGHT

SPYKE-KPT

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 20' grady white with a Yamaha 200 hp. EFI. The boat pulls to the right hard at certian trim's. At plane and a certian trim it's not that bad. I adjusted the zinc as far as it will go (toward the pull) and the lower unit looks straight. Is this normal in bigger boats or is this in the steering?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: ENGINE PULLS TO RIGHT

who made the steering?<br /> is it single cable?

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Often this is a problem with the wrong pitch prop. What RPM'S at wide open throttle are you turning.

murphy1

Seaman Apprentice

I saw on "ship shape TV" that if your engine pulls to one side you have to adjust the zinc in back of the prop (the one shaped like your skeg). If you loosen it and turn it the opposite direction of the way the boat pulls, then retighten, it counters the boats pull. I guess it acts like a little stationary rudder. Or get a 'no feed back' hydraulic steering system for $800

SPYKE-KPT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for your replies, 1.) I don't know who made the steering but I will check next time I go out. And yes it is a single cable. 2.)It could be the prop. I get about 4000-4500rpm at most and I have to get up to that slowly or it cavitate's. How would the prop pitch make it pull by grabing to much? 3.) The zinc is all the way over. And hydraulic steering would be nice but I don't have the money.

DanMcK

Seaman

SPYKEKPT: Find Out what Your motor should be turning ar WOT (wide open throttle), then get the correct prop. If it still pulling with the correct prop and the trim tab set as far as it will go you need to find a trim tab with a greater surface area.I am fairly sure at 200 hp You already have the largest trim tab already but check it out, maybe you get lucky and find one that has a more surface area. There is also a device called a Torque Tamer. I have no experience with it but here is a link, should be more affordable. web page

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

The engine should be propped to turn 5500-5800 Rpm's at wide open throttle. It appears that you are way overpropped for the application. This will cause the tourque problem.

SPYKE-KPT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thank's again, How can I find out what pitched prop I need and how do I check what pitched prop I have now. I have heard you have to try different sizes to get the right prop but is there a guide to go by. I will try the new prop way because I need an extra prop. But if that does not work I will look into a torque tamer.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Most props have the pitch and diameter stamped in them. You may have to remove the prop to find it. A good prop shop will likely be a better source than your dealer. Give them the WOT Rpm's and info on the boat and motor and they should be able to come up with something very close.