Yamaha 225 needs carb rebuild?

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer
(1993 Yamaha 225, 374 hours, on 24' Proline Walkaround.) Well-maintained or so I thought.<br /><br />Launched this 11-year old boat (although low hours) and ran fine until about 4th trip, when coming off of cruise to idle to enter no-wake zone, engine stalls. Will restart but any attempt to give it throttle results in immediate stall. Mechanic says carbs need to be rebuilt - lean idle. I must admit the idle performance of this engine has not been great over the last couple years (stalls, sputters), but this sudden complete failure requiring a tow seems inconsistent with a slowly deteriorating condition like carb dirt. I have no reason to doubt the mechanic but was a little surprised by the diagnosis, having expected some sort of fuel flow problem (filters/separator all changed regularly).<br /><br />Also while I am here.... the "squeeze ball" is the original. Does that need to be replaced periodically?<br /><br />Thanks

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Yamaha 225 needs carb rebuild?

The squeeze ball does need to be replaced as well as any other fuel lines with age on them. Deteriation of the lines internally can cause particles to get in the carbs and your mechanic is most likely right about the need for a carb rebuild.

GOTHREECAR

Cadet

Listen to Ray. He set me straight on my carb problem. Pretty much the same condition as yours. I rebuilt them to factory specs and it runs better than ever. I also found out that the jets were the wrong size(too rich). The right jets fixed my wet fouling plugs and the rough idle problem. Good luck.

GOTHREECAR

Cadet

By the way. I also have a Yamaha 225 1991 on a 24' proline walkaround.

swist

"By the way. I also have a Yamaha 225 1991 on a 24' proline walkaround."<br /><br />Great! How many hours on the engine and what other things have you had to do it? I only have 375 hours but the 11 years has obviously caused some problems on its own (like the carbs). Do you regularly use that Yamaha decarbonizing additive?

GOTHREECAR

Cadet

Swist,<br /> I have about 450 hours on it. I'm the second owner. It was originally a Florida boat that was used very little and kept on a rack between uses. Besides the Yamaha multi guages not working right the motor runs fine. I'm one of those "If it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of guys. My Carbs needed a rebuild and a good cleaning recently and it works better than ever. Ray Neudecker set me in the right direction. I also replaced the 2 fuel pumps, the thermostats the primer ball and hoses. New stuff makes a difference.<br /> I only used the decarb once. The motor wasn't as dirty as I thought it would be. I use a good grade 2 stroke oil and 93 octane Amoco. I hate to break down and get towed in (4th boat-Numerous tows)so I really check things out now. Hows your carb issue coming?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

gothreecar<br /> quit with the super.<br /> that motor will run best on 87 octane. high octane fuel will actually decrease the power output of your engine. save the money for beverages.<br /> I love the "aint broke dont fix it" it makes me a lot of money every year.<br /> good luck and keep posting

swist

It's taking them forever - Maine is a beautiful place to boat, but with the season being 3 months long that doesn't support a lot of well staffed boatyards - and giving them this job just before the 4th of July was the worst timing possible. If I had the time I probably should have done it myself.<br /><br />They will also be changing the bulb, which is clearly shot - they said the hoses looked good.<br /><br />Did you replace the fuel pumps speculatively, or were they broke? If so, how hard a job is it and what do the new pumps cost?

Osprey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I recently purchased a 1995 175 with 600 hours and had not been run in a couple years. On first ocean trial it would run great above 1000 RPM but would not idle. Carb rebuild and de-carbon treatment did the trick.

GOTHREECAR

Cadet

Rodbolt, Thanks for the octane info. This will save me some change.<br /><br />Swist, I changed the fuel pumps because I had no idea how long since they were rebuilt. The job was easy. Took about 1/2 hour. The boat is in the water and the motor is on a Gill bracket. I took my time so nothing would fall overboard. I bought new pumps for 29.00 each. They come assembled and bolt right in. Like I said before new stuff makes a difference. I was out blue fishing this morning and the motor ran like new.