Yamaha 115hp 2 stroke ,smoking and lots of oil coming out exaust.

HamOp

Cadet
I have a brand new motor. Its now smoking and running crappy and when I got home and lowered the engine it leaked out alot of black oil with the water and the prop is covered with oil also. I also noticed my small oil tank on the motor is full to the top. I will bring it to the dealer next week but im wondering what is up. <br />Thanks

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Yamaha 115hp 2 stroke ,smoking and lots of oil coming out exaust.

Strong possibility the oil level sensor is not shutting off the pump in the boat mounted tank and it is overfilling the engine mounted tank. The excess drains into the air box.

HamOp

Cadet

I went home today and checked out the engine in daylight . The small tank is at the proper level. I think it just looked full last night because it was dark. I cleaned the plugs ,they were very wet with oil,started it up and it was still smoking like crazy again and alot of oil again was coming out the prop. I notice a bit of oil under the carbs and there is a little oil in the pan leaking down the leg of the motor. I think its screwed! I'm really worried about this. Could this be a blown engine? I hope not.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Not likely blown with those symptoms. Turn the switch on and see if pump starts running while engine mounted tank is at full level. Problem can be intermittent.

HamOp

Cadet

Tried it and i dont here the pump running.<br />A friend said he thinks its the fuel enrichener?<br />He says its like running with the choke on? he said to look in the manual and see where it is and either turn it the other way or turn it back and forth and then leave it the way it was ,he thinks it may be stuck. I hope thats all it is.<br />Thanks for the input Ray.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

He could be right. The oil sensor has been the most common cause on the older motors. Excess oil is pumped into the air box and sucked into the carbs or leaked out. The good news is it is a dealer waranty problem and an easy repair. Good luck.

HamOp

Cadet

Hey Ray , I looked for that enrichener, can't spell that :) anyway i dont see anything. Choke isn't on, i can see that much. I started it up again for a sec and now im getting like grey oil comming out . My friend said thats definaly fuel but i don't smell gas? I think your idea of the oil sensor makes sense because i have alot of oil everywhere. seems like its leaking out of the carbs or somewhere. I'm no boat mech so I'll bring it back to the dealer. It's a major bummer, but at least its new so it's under warrenty. I was slamming big striped bass too :( <br />I'll let you know how i make out. <br />thanks, <br />HamOp

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

You won't have both a choke and an enrichner. Not going to claim my spelling is right either. Sometimes the servicer doesn't always get the cap on right when they put in the oil for a new motor. It will then spill oil when you trim up the motor. You might check that before giving up on all of those bass.

HamOp

Cadet

nope caps tight ,its hopeless hehe ,i get those bass next week :)

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> what is the year of your New motor? also check the white plastic oil link at the pump. they break alot and wwhen they do the pump goes to wide open. but my money is on the transfer pump or someone has had the level sender apart and did not line up the screen properly. anyway take it to the dealer and let them find it.<br /> good luck and keep posting

HamOp

Cadet

Hi Its a leftover 2003 .<br />I checked the linkage ,seems to me it must be the oil pump going full on for some reason?<br />I'm taking it in today . It's a little bit of a ride to where i bought it, like 45 mins but better to let them do it. They did tell me to bring it right in and they will get right on it.<br /><br />HamOp

HamOp

Cadet

I hear the oil pumps never go bad? <br />Sould i demand a new engine ? it only had 5 hrs on it!

vinney

Chief Petty Officer

How many hours on this engine? Most guys who(new delivery) prep two-strokes will load the engine up with oil thru the air box and put extra oil in the gas. Some time the person who prepped the engine doesn't clean up the extra oil in the engine pan after bleeding the oil pump on new delivery.There is nothing wrong with your engine its needs to be cleaned up and MAYBE a new set of spark plus and a talk with the dealer of why it was delivered in the condition it was in.

HamOp

Cadet

Called the service dept. this am . The guy said the fuel pump was out of adjustment? What? those fuel pumps cant be adjusted. I don't know alot but I do know that much. He says its not smoking alot anymore though? I don't trust these guys at all. I called the owner and told him what he said. He told me he's going to check into it. I will bring it to another dealer thats acually closer that I trust If its not fixed correctly.